Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Favourite celestial objects?

Beulah

I don't know if this has been asked already!

I was observing with the kids last night and they all agreed that the Double Cluster was their favourite out of the nine objects I showed them.

For imagers and observers alike: what are your three all-time favourite objects to image/observe, and why? :o

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the whole Constellation of Orion and his sword glowing pink with nebular gases (didn't mean that to sound rude!!:o) in a clear sky on a crisp winter's evening has got to be my favourite..

by a long way!!

Steve

ps.. edited as it definitely sounded rude the way I first wrote it!

The Wild Duck (M11) In the Scutum Star Fields.

The Beehive Cluster (M44) In Cancer.

The Globular M13 In Hercules.

My favourite object which will come as no surprise, is The Planet Saturn. It was the first thing object I saw with my Home Made 8" f6 Reflector, which revealed a sizable view of this beautiful planet, and the memory is still with to this day. All the months of work creating that mirror were justified in that first light.

I grew to like Star Clusters, and the above objects pleased me an awful lot, purely from an aesthetic point of view.

Ron.:o

One of my all time favourite sights is Orion, in a crisp winter sky. It's the constellation that sparked my imagination when I was young and just getting into astronomy - I owe alot to him :o

M81 and M82 are a lovely pairing, great to observe session after session

M45

M44 - the first cluster I ever saw with my binoculars, it made me gasp for air I was so stunned I could see that much 'stuff' up there with my basic 10x50s.

see, this is the problem! I could never condense all the clusters, galaxies, nebula - not to mention objects in our own solar system - into a top 3 list! Venus is such a beautiful planet, but seeing Jupiter trace its path across the sky has brought me such pleasure the past few months...

SP, you certainly have set us a difficult task here :o

SP, you certainly have set us a difficult task here :)

You're welcome! :D:o

I have observed many objects this year, and I particularly enjoyed the rich galaxy field in Leo/Virgo. But if I had a top 3 at this time I'd say;

1) Veil Nebula viewed with 0III filter

2) Whirlpool Galaxy, for the more I observe, the more I am beginning to notice the spiral arms

3) M13 because with a 10mm plossl and good transparency, you can lose yourself in resolving the stars in the cluster forever.

Seeing the whole Constellation of Orion and his sword glowing pink with nebular gases (didn't mean that to sound rude!!:o) in a clear sky on a crisp winter's evening has got to be my favourite..

by a long way!!

Steve

Ditto, words can't describe the feeling i get when i see the Constellation Orion and M42 on a crisp winters night.

Moon in a high power eyepiece

Veil Nebula in my 16" with OIII filter

Milky Way on a really dark night

M42 because it can't NOT be on the list!

But there are jsut so many. M13 would be my favourite GC, the Double Cluster my favourite OC, M51 my fave Galaxy, saturn my favourite planet etc. etc. etc.

blumming difficult question :o:)

And my list might be significantly different checked out the Southern hemisphere

And my list might be significantly different checked out the Southern hemisphere

Me too, but it's quite unlikely I'll ever get to study the Southern Hemishpere...feel a little sad that we can't see the Magellanic Clouds unless a few K was spent on getting there....

Archived