SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mounting question...

My main imaging scope in my observatory (a nexstar 8 GPS on a wedge) is misbehaving badly. I'm missing a lot of clear nights trying, and failing, to get it sorted :o.

I've got a CG5 goto mount. I was wondering whether I could mount the CG5 on my pier as a stop-gap set up? My pier top plate has a central hole so I should be able to bolt it down OK. But two questions:

Will the base connection be solid enough for imaging? The base of the mount normally sits inside the top of the tripod, so the only surfaces in contact would be a ring about 1mm or so wide which is about 3 inches in diameter.

Secondly, I won't have the bit that sticks up (technical term there :)) which is used for the polar alignment, I'm assuming that this isn't needed for stability, just for ease of alignment? I'm happy to adjust the base manually if necessary.

What do you reckon? If the chances are it won't work I'll not bother removing the wedge to try.

Thanks

Helen

PS After another unsuccessful and frustrating night last night I think I may see an EQ6 in my future!

I have an EQ5, which I assume is similar to the GC5 (I think they are clones). There should be no problem bolting the thing down through the hole in your mount. Loosing the "pillar" shouldn't be too much of a problem but if needed you could drill a suitable hole in the top of the mount and use a makeshift pin from a bolt with its head sawn off. You do not say if you have the required access underneath the mount plate as you WILL need to get a bolt "in from underneath" to hold the mount in place. You may need to make a "strap" to go across underneath your mount hole to hold the thing down (hope that bit makes sense!!) from hard wood or metal.

Hope this helps

Just an add on question guys...

I know the new CG5 now uses the EQ6 tripod. Does that mean that the bottom of the heads are the same? If I need an adapter then I'd be tempted to buy one now if it worked for the CG5 and EQ6.

thanks

Helen

Helen,

I'm currently doing something similar, I bought one of these mounting plates from Altair Astro while I was at Kelling, to gain some extra height (if needed) I was going to purchase an EQ6 mount extension tube from Steve. You will need either a new top plate on your mount or redrill your existing one to hold the new mounting plate.

Altair Astro Nature Optics CATALOG - Astronomy Telescopes & SkyShed POD Observatory equipment UK & Europe

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thanks for the link Steve!

M66, I'm getting dumbell shaped stars which suggests something is jumping. I've cleaned the base, and checked the alt rollers, but its still doing it. I tested a couple of nights ago using the ZS66, which is piggy-backed, and that seemed to show round stars (although the focal length is shorter and its faster which means its less demanding). So that suggests it might be the scope itself. My next attempt at a solution is to dismantle the scope and regrease the baffle tube, as it might be mirror flop. I've got some dow corning high vacuum grease on its way to me...

Helen

Hi. Helen,

I replied to your question about the extension, but perhaps you haven't read the post yet. It was pretty late last night, and you had logged off when I posted my response.

In case I hadn't explained my set up very well, here is a link to the Epsillon sit where the pier Adapter, and EQ Top can be viewed.

The Adapter is either black or white, and the flange base either square or round.

Hope you can make sense of it.

Ron.

http://www.epsilon-telescopes.co.uk/mps.htm

Archived