Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Slow motion controls seizing...help!

I noticed last night that my slow motion control for declination got to a certain point then refused to move at all. I could wind it in the opposite direction that I wanted to move in, but once I turned it the correct way it stopped at the same point. Quite frustrating as the object I wanted to view was on the edge of my FOV and I just needed a little movement to bring it into the centre. Eventually I used the main declination knob to loosen the scope, but I am sure there is a better way...can anyone help? :o

I think the declination (Dec) slow motion control on the EQ2 has a limited travel before it needs to be reset. The Right Ascension (RA) one will keep on turning for 360 degrees however. Was it the Dec slow motion that got stuck ?.

John

Hi Adrian,

On the EQ1 mount I had the slow motion controls were limited in range, once you got the the stop you had to realign manually an d move the slow motion control back to near the start. :Dhttp://www.opticalvision.co.uk/manuals.asp was a useful site for information if you don't have instructions. ((I think the EQ2 is similar) - But if not...)

This isn't the case on the EQ5 mount, when I got it the the mechanism was very gunged up with very thick sticky grease that prevented a smooth slow motion tracking. Astronomy Boy: Amateur Astronomy is useful too, this is where I found out about stripping down the EQ5 and getting it to run as smooth as silk. :o

Hope this is of some help, I'm sure some of the vastly more experienced members will be able to give you a much better explanation. :)

Good luck

Archived