SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter & Ganymete shadow 24/09

arad85

Hi all,

Another in an almost nightly series of shots... I think I'm getting things nailed a bit more now and understanding what all the controls are doing.. So, this is:

Jupiter at 21:35 last night (you can just pick up Ganymede to the right)

C9.25

Celestron 2x Ultima Barlow

570/1200 frames

Processing: Registax, Astra Image, Photoshop

Also attached is a representative raw frame from the avi that generated the picture (the yellow circle in the centre of that is because I saved it from registax :o). Still more learning to do - and I'd like to reprocess to try and reduce the grain and onionringing a bit but whatever I try at the moment, reducing either of these artefacts reduces the detail on the planet... Thanks to all that are helping me to get the camera settings right and understanding the processing chain.

post-16274-133877400687_thumb.jpg

post-16274-133877400691_thumb.jpg

Hi Toby,

You need to know what you're doing (not claiming I do mind you). In the above I used registax to stack and align the RGB channels. I also added some wavelet processing. I then used Astro Image to deconvolve (sharpen) the image and finally Photoshop to add a bit of brightness back into the outer 30% of the planet, stretch the histogram, despeckle the image and saturate the colours a bit more... I'm pleased I'm starting to pull out detail in the equatorial zone and the darker band below it...

That's a lot better Toby... I'm assuming that's after you've registax'd it and processed it a bit in the wavelets? Just play with the values in there...

Astro Image - just google it.

By the way, you need to make sure your monitor is reasonably well calibrated. I have 2 monitors here, one partially calibrated, the other not calibrated at all... Showing the same image on both monitors - I think you'd say they were different images they look so different!

Hi Kokatha man

Details of the capture that did the top images (the one posted by Astrokat are his images - just incase that confused you...)

Bright : 71

Gamma : 0

Gain : 32

Shutter: 1/25

FPS : 10

WBal : Freeze

WB-R : 44

WB-B : 24

Sat : 73

Cont : 52

Hi Kokatha man

Details of the capture that did the top images (the one posted by Astrokat are his images - just incase that confused you...)

Bright : 71

Gamma : 0

Gain : 32

Shutter: 1/25

FPS : 10

WBal : Freeze

WB-R : 44

WB-B : 24

Sat : 73

Cont : 52

Sorry, is this with wxAstrocapture arad - and which is your camera type again....? Why no gamma at all? And the fps....?

Do you "auto" set the WB (I can't remember wxAstro clearly - is that with the "freeze" function?) Just seems like the R & B values are heavily weighted to the red, but colour doesn't seem to be a problem in your images; it's just that with the DBK it is the other way around!

I was going to suggest you try dropping the gamma.....but perhaps you should try a bit of gamma....!

Too much has been the cause of onion ringing etc, I have found.....but too little seems to create a very dark image that doesn't have enough dynamic range, and detail/contrast can suffer.....:o:icon_scratch::)

This is with wcctrl - I use it to setup the camera before taking any images. 1/25 is the lowest setting I can use - the SPC doesn't seem to support anything lower in wcctrl, and if you pop up the camera driver properties, there is no number associated - just a slider. The onion ringing is probably me overprocessing it TBH :o

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'm learning each time out...

Archived