Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kelling 2009 Report

daz

Apologies - work and lack of sleep has not left a lot of time over the last few days, but here is my report from Kelling....

Arrived at Kelling in convey with Ford Prefect and SteveL to find Paxo was already well under way in tent erection mode. Ant and family were trying not to throttle each other as they too were doing the Canvas Waltz!

The next couple of hours of setting up camp were frequently interrupted as others arrived - MikeP, Barkis, Lunator, Whippy, Steve and James (and at a reasonable time too!!) and MartinB.

Other SGLers that were there and came said "Hello" include TJ, Beyondvision, lguise, Stefski, MichaelMorris...... probably more, but my old memory is failing!

Thursday afternoon was spent setting up tripods and telescopes and time was spent in technical discussions on camera's, filters and so on. It was around this time that MartinB discovered he had managed to leave his camera's at home!! As I'm sure you can imagine, we were very sympathetic at this :o

Thursday evening was clouded out - as predicted - so it was off to The Forge for dinner, where more "Hello's" came from other astronomers met at previous star parties. Dave Eagle was there, trying hard to grow his beard and moustache for charity - hope its not itching too much Dave!!

We wandered back to the pitches after a good dinner and a couple of lemonades, and sat outside putting the world to rights over red wine, whiskey, cider and beer. TJ smelt the red wine from way over the red field and him and Kev were soon sat and joining in the banter.

I'm afraid I can't divulge what was discussed - mainly because I can't remember - but it was a good laugh. Especially when Martin woke up (having nodded off a few minutes before) with a fine expletive and then nodded off again!!!

Friday started off a little grey and we avidly watched the forecast evolve during the next few hours. SteveL had brought enough IT kit to download the SAT24 images so were able to have accurate information about the forecast. All the weather sites were reporting a clear night, and they weren't wrong!

During the day Linton had arrived with his 20" dobsonian - it generated a lot of interest during the set up process - and we waited for night to fall to start the final polar alignments (for the imagers) and sketch pads and eyepieces (for the visuals).

Helen and husband Mike arrived late in the afternoon despite a nasty accident with boiling water. This meant camping was out but they managed to get digs in Cromer.

MrsDaz and MiniDaz arrived late afternoon, and am pleased to report that MiniDaz got to use his scope again, and MrsDaz climbed the ladder to look through the dob! A result indeed!!

As with previous years, the dew was quite prevelant, but it seemed to fall quickly in one go. There was also some high thin clouds around, but not enough to stop play!! Cameras were set going and a queue soon formed at Lintons dob!!

SteveL and Paxo imaged the Heart and Soul using SteveL's Borg and Paxo's M36 camera. The FOV was incredible, as indeed were the subs. So much so that Maxim decided the scale was too big to do the plate solving!!!

MartinB borrowed SteveL's QHY8 and Paxo's Atik cameras to do some imaging, and spent time with MikeP and Barkis as they got to grips with the joys of CCD imaging!!

I really can't remember what time we finally got to bed, but the morning seemed to come round VERY quickly!!! People went off and did various things during a beautiful day - many visited the trade stands, some went out for the day, some even went for 2nd breakfast of pancakes! Unfortunately, the forecast held true and Saturday was also clouded out, apart from a brief spell around midnight (I think. The Rioja had taken effect by this time)

Sunday dawns, and many are leaving having enjoyed one good night of dark skies. For those of us that stayed on, we were treated to another (and better) clear night!

Linton finally managed to find the Blue Snowball (it has eluded him for a while!) and boy! was it blue!! SteveL got his annual fix of visual by finding the Crescent nebula, looking at the Veil and the dust lanes in M31. If you have never looked through a big dob, you are missing a treat, you really are! To see the dust lanes in M31, NGC891 and NGC7331 is really something, and the feint whisps of the Veil are just amazing!!

Thanks again Linton for your generosity of "scope-time"!

All too soon, its time to pack away - which always takes forever - and home for some much needed sleep!!

Roll on next year!!

I must admit I've kind of avoided looking through big dobs recently (either Owen's at Salisbury or Lintons at Kelling). By turning to imaging I managed to cure myself of aperture fever - a look through a really big dob would probably just set me off again :o

James

Great report Daz.....Friday night was indeed excellent. I managed to get the whole of the Veil in the fov of my trusted Meg72 and Linton and I swapped views for a little while..(time to sell the kidneys for the big dobber methinks!!:D). I sketched the view in the Meg72, but keep forgetting to post it on the forum:rolleyes:.

Some of my pupils came on Saturday and I was quite fearful that they wouldn't get to see anything (none of them have seen a 'scope let alone looked through one!). As you say, Daz, mercifully the clouds parted for about 45mins at about 10pm, so they got a see a few things before crashing out!

Great weekend!:D

Stef

Good they got to see some things apart from a bunch of wino's in a field full of expensive gear!!

I understand you are bring them down to Bedford Observatory at some point? I shall be on hand to assist when you do :D

It really was a great weekend and thanks to all for helping to make it so. I very much enjoyed comparing the scope view to some of the fantastic images being produced. I would have never thought of looking for some of the targets that SteveL suggested, but there they were! Several firsts for me including the Iris Neb and Flaming Star Neb. Fingers crossed for next year.

Linton & Yvette

• 3 months later...

An excellent report.

For me a peek into Linton `s 20"field cannon was the most est ,the veil and sombrero and previously mentioned dust lanes were awesome.

Cme home and intoxicated myself of grinding a big mirror,until sanity returned .

So I will make the most of my little 100/80mm refractor piggyback set-up. ,and count the days till Kelling April .

jon aka Bilbo :)

Archived