Narrowband

Seeing??

I am a new convert to the fascinating world of astronomy. I have read a lot of the observing reports on here and can generally understand what is being said. But can someone please explain to me the difference between 'transparency' and 'seeing'? :o

What constitutes each one, and how can one be good when the other is not????

Scuse my ignorance :) but I would dearly love to wrap my head around the terms.

Cheers,

Steph

seeing is a measure of how steady star images appear.

the star stays nice and tight then the seeing is good. If the star appears all wrinkly then the seeing is bad.

transparency is a measure of how clear the air is. If there is a lot of dust, or pollution or high cloud, the transparency will be low. Fainter objects are invisible.

you can gauge transparency by looking at the moon. The lower the transparency the more the moon lights up the entire sky.

paul

.... but.....

what makes seeing good or bad then?:o

I'm cheating here !:

Seeing: the quality of observing conditions induced by turbulence in Earth's atmosphere, which blurs the images of astronomical objects. — Astronony magazine

John

For instance, in the last few weeks, I have had excellent seeing, but poor transparency (I could see about five stars, but they weren't twinkling at all. Last night I went outside, and there were hundreds of stars visible (a frequent fall/winter phenomenon) but they were twinkling like mad, therefore excellent transparency, but bad seeing. I would still have got my scope out if I hadn't been completely knackered from my work week. :o

I would still have got my scope out if I hadn't been completely knackered from my work week. :)

Isn't that so often the way? :o It seems plain old cruel to me that events tend to conspire in such a way as to make the best observing nights either after a totally knackering day, or just preceding a big day that will require you turn in early so that you're well rested...

Archived