Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tubless scope

GordonCopestake

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The second scope looks a lot like a 16" F/4.5 I'm designing for a member of my astro club. Not too sure how he balances this example, but it can't be easy and of course he doesn't show you this.

The first scope looks a lot like another scope I saw by Mike Spooner. His was an 8" F/6 he called a "Scope on a Stick". It was really just an adjustable test bed for optics up to 10". The view of M17 was unforgettable.

From the blurb...

"Under average humidity conditions mirrors only get wet after a long period of exposure, expecially the primary mirror thanks to its thermal inertia which keeps the glass slightly warmer than the air"

I remain to be convinced.....esp. on a winters night in the UK.

Does anyone know where these scopes are located? The first one I see is in Italy, but the second one....? Here in Arizona, scopes like these wouldn't necessarily need dew protection. I've used my dew zapper exactly 3 times in 12 years, two of which were up north at the Canyon. The 20" F/4 could hold a spandex shroud which would cut down on dew problems. The first one suggests it's used in a non-dew-prone zone of some kind.

Pro scopes are usually at the tops of mountains and so fairly dry anyway. Newer designs and modifications to older scopes allow circulation of air over the glass which overcomes the thermal inertia mentioned by Gaz.

Saddleworth Moor. Hills, not mountains.

Beware googling Saddleworth moor as there are links to Hindley and Brady who were child killers in the 1960s. One child still unaccounted for on the Moor. Not pleasant.

(BTW the Pennine hills, of which the Moor is part, are visible from the top of our road.)

Captain Chaos

Archived