SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings everyone!

Well, I stayed up all night for this- the start my observations for the Martian apparition of 2009-2010, and it was worth waiting for. The Martian disk has now exceeded 6 arc seconds, and so visual observation with my telescope is now feasible.

The drawing bellow was made this morning, and although only the dominant features are present, a number of interesting details are on show- there is the large bright Northern Polar Regions, and I strongly suspected a bright white morning cloud on the following limb. The bright region Eridania was prominent on the south following limb.

Best wishes,

-Paul.

----

Mars_240909_Abel-1.jpg

Thanks Ashenlight! My telescope is a Skywatcher 203mm (8 inch) Newtonian Reflector- it is mounted on a permanant pier set up in my observatory. I use my special planetary eyepeice which gives a power of 312x.

DAVPPK- your time will come! Have you made any drawings of the Moon and planets yet? I urge you to have a crack at it! If you need any planet blanks, let me know!

It's incredible the detail you have managed. I have just posted on another thread that I didn't hold out much hope of seeing anything at the moment with Mars being so small! Now I've seen your sketch I will give it a go (although my smaller scope may not pick out the details)

Archived