SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Magazines and subscriptions

I am new to astronomy and I am needing a little help.

I was thinking about subscibing to a magazine and was wondering which one is the best to go for. I like the idea of a star chart in each mag and Also help and tips of what to look for

Any help would be appriciated.

Teddy

Hello Teddy and a warm welcome to SGL :o

You might find this thread helpful:

http://stargazerslounge.com/astro-lounge/87812-best-astronomy-magazine.html

I am a subscriber to Sky at Night mag - their star map that comes with each monthly issue is excellent, by far the best IMO, and there are plenty of hints and tips of what is best placed to view each month.

It has a good balance of observing and imaging articles too.

Both Sky @ Night and Astronomy Now offer monthly star charts but S@N also have a cover disk with a commentary (and an episode of BBC Sky @ Night) and its articles are perhaps a little more beginner-friendly so that would get my vote.

HTH

Hey thanks for that. I will try the sky@ nite as I am only just starting out and there is so much to take in.

Thanks for your help , that's cool

ps I am starting by learning the different constelations first. Is this the way to go. Just so much to take in. Any tips on starting out would be ace. What did u do at the start

teddy:icon_salut:

Most people start of with a pair of 10x50 binoculars. Learn the constellations, the brightest stars and then a few of the bigger deep space objects.

Download Stellarium, just google it for address. It's a freeware planetarium.

Archived