Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First ever DSO pics (please be gentle!)

GazOC

I finally got around to using the Meade DSI that I've had for well over a year! It was one of those astro deals that was too good to miss even though I didn't have a clue what i was going to do with it. The polar alignment is way off due to the fact my polar scope isn't aligned with the mount correctly and I've lost the little Allen key that does the job. It's never been a problem for visual and using my old LPI, but it really shows up on anything over 10secs or so. Another job for a cloudy night I suppose.

Thanks to James for tarting them up in Photoshop for me.

image.jpg

The Ring Nebula (10x15secs)

image.jpg

Double star Beta Cygni (Albireo) (25x4 secs)

Your Welcome Gaz :)

It's a great start to your imaging Gaz you should be happy with your starting images i like the Beta Cygni image best once you add a little saturation to the image you get those wonderfull colours, M57 is good to shame about tracking but you will see a huge differance once your tracking is sorted matey.

James :sunny:

Excellent images matey, isn't it so nice to see the DSO object appear on the laptop screen....

Ahhh! I remember seeing M13 for the first time on the laptop screen - I was so happy and proud that I'd got my first DSO.

Well done Gaz, they'll be no stopping you know.

M57 does actually show up quite well in 15 seconds (as does M13), so once you've improved the tracking a little you should be able to get some better shots of those...

All in all I bet you are well happy with them,

Ant

Ant,

Yeah i was like a little kid when M57 showed up on the laptop! Have you got any recommendations for "starter" DSOs for a beginner? I figured M13 and the big globs, M42, M31 (I duuno about this one, very bright but very large). What do you think?

Russ,

I took 15 exposures but the Meade software discards the bad ones so I ended up with 10. You can alter how "picky" the software is when discarding the images. I think the general idea will be to take more pictures with longer exposures but to make the software more selective on which images it lets through?

Hi Gaz,

Perhaps give M31 a wide berth for now, unless you have the camera lens adapter.

M13 is, as Ant said, a great target to start on. M82 in Ursa Major is another great one that comes out well on a small CCD. M82 was the first DSO i attempted with the Toucam SC1 and was by far my best shot with that camera.

M27 comes out well too. M92 is a good target.

Something to start with.

Russ

Hi gaz, I can remember that feeling sat in front of the laptop, fantastic.

I would suggest getting the software to let all the images through and then select the ones that you want to stack yourself - your sort of in control of your own quality control then.

With regards to DSO's, forget M31 it's way to big for the DSI, you'll only be disappointed....

IMO try M13, M57 , M27, M81 or M82 (whichever one of them is the cigar), basically anything that will fit on the chip with a M number could be a goer. The FOV with the DSI / Toucam is very small - in fact you won't even officially get all M13 on the chip but it still looks blumming good TBH.

Even M42 was a dissapointment with the Toucam.

Just emailed you a new version of the M57 image, hope you like...

Ant

• 3 weeks later...

Archived