Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

AlexF

Could someone suggest some targets?

I was hoping to see IC1805 (the Heart nebula) tonight with the break in the clouds, but I'm worried that I won't be able to see it without a narrowband filter.

Anything with an IC designation is going to be hard - it means it was missed by the Herschels (father and son) and only discovered in the latter part of the 19th century. I've seen a few ICs with my 8-inch but not many.

Start by going for DSOs with an M designation (Messier). There are also a few very bright NGC (New General Catalogue) objects, e.g. Double Cluster in Perseus. Leave IC (Index Catalogue) for when you really want a challenge.

Blimey now I need an urban dictionary in addition to all the star maps, books and software, my old brain just can't take any more...:);):o

Anything with an IC designation is going to be hard - it means it was missed by the Herschels (father and son) and only discovered in the latter part of the 19th century. I've seen a few ICs with my 8-inch but not many.

Start by going for DSOs with an M designation (Messier). There are also a few very bright NGC (New General Catalogue) objects, e.g. Double Cluster in Perseus. Leave IC (Index Catalogue) for when you really want a challenge.

Thanks for that insight. I didn't know what any of the designations stood for, and couldn't find it anywhere on the net.