Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could someone suggest some targets?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was hoping to see IC1805 (the Heart nebula) tonight with the break in the clouds, but I'm worried that I won't be able to see it without a narrowband filter.

Anything with an IC designation is going to be hard - it means it was missed by the Herschels (father and son) and only discovered in the latter part of the 19th century. I've seen a few ICs with my 8-inch but not many.

Start by going for DSOs with an M designation (Messier). There are also a few very bright NGC (New General Catalogue) objects, e.g. Double Cluster in Perseus. Leave IC (Index Catalogue) for when you really want a challenge.

Anything with an IC designation is going to be hard - it means it was missed by the Herschels (father and son) and only discovered in the latter part of the 19th century. I've seen a few ICs with my 8-inch but not many.

Start by going for DSOs with an M designation (Messier). There are also a few very bright NGC (New General Catalogue) objects, e.g. Double Cluster in Perseus. Leave IC (Index Catalogue) for when you really want a challenge.

Thanks for that insight. I didn't know what any of the designations stood for, and couldn't find it anywhere on the net.

Archived