1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Eh...was that Uranus?

crovax

Well, after seeing Neptune I didn't expect to find Uranus. I found Neptune only because it was very close to Jupiter and it looked exactly like a tiny star. Anyway I gave Uranus a try: studied star pattern, found what I believe was Pisces (hate these faint constellations), pointed my quickfinder to the location and saw a strange object. It was a like a not very faint star...but omg it was colored red. I've never seen red stars before so I believe it was Uranus....but shouldn't this planet be colored in blue colors? :o

Both appear as a small disc, almost star like, using a low power. Neptune appears as a blue object whilst Uranus is greenish. Well they are to my old and tired eyes.:o

check this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/85073-uranus.html

and http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/85834-sorry-no-jupiter-but-neptune.html

Try to track the mystery object over a few nights/weeks. If it's a planet it will move, if not then it's a star.

You should be able to resolve Uranus at high power and see a small greenish disc.

Stars can look very red - the Garnet Star (Mu Cephei) is a famous example, Betelgeuse and Antares are naked-eye ones.

This is totally weird, this reddish star was so distinguishable that I was sure it was not a star. This brings back the quest of finding Uranus :o

Also I'll do my best to accurately locate this thing and then will be sketching it to determine if it moves or not. Or even better - I'll be making potos of it. :)

I dunno, next weekend I'll do my best to find this object again. I guess this won't be very hard because it was a very noticable thing. Not veeeery noticable like Vega but still not a tiny star. IMHO it's impossible to miss it. Then I'll be studying star patterns and making photos and hopefully will get its name. The problem is that I don't clearly see Pisces. :o I can try to start tracking the object from Aquaris but it is not very helpful too. Only Phi Aquarii is a little close to that area and that star is not much brighter than the stars from Pisces.