HEQ5 SynScan

I'm just getting to grips with EQ mounts and this one in particular, and I have a question 'do they learn?'

From 1st setup I enter details, date, position etc and go for a 3 star align and accept the default stars, the first star is way out and have to move a fair distance to centre it, 2nd star is in the ep, 3rd star is way out, and alignment fails. So go back in the menu to align, 3 star align and this time all three stars are in the ep (same 3 stars) so only need a tweek to centre..'Alignment Successful' yet I've changed nothing!

WHY?

Do you set the mount up polar aligned level and in home position( weights pointing down with North leg. ?

I have the same mount. First star is always outside or just in fov of 25mm ep. Next two stars are in the eyepiece almost central. Always aligns successfully, but I am a bit obsessed with alignment and levelling.

Allan

I think it could be your home position - the mount assumes that it is pointing perfectly upgright with the weights down etc if this is not bang on then alignment will sometimes fail. Others suggested to me that I do a 1 star align then park and then do a 3 star align and that worked for me since.

Archived