Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 23rd Aug

OXO

Another Clear :shock: well not 100% but still worth the effort :)

Here's an Image of Mars from last night should have some more to post later today, could do with an IR filter to get rid of an atrifact created by the camera(curved line) but still there coming on alright.

Stack of 600 frames.

image.jpg

James :sunny:

Hi Carl,

Yeah it's not to bad that one detail wise depends what mars has on offer at the time and seeing conditions etc etc this image does look sharper your right there carl.

One more from last night.

image.jpg

599 Frames Stacked

Thats better James, the second one above I mean. Your getting some lovely images now.

I may well put a Toucam 3 on my xmas list, or at least a toucam 2 if they are still around. it certainly looks like your getting some fantastic results with yours...

Ant

Thanks Matey,

Toucam 3? i have tried looking for info on that but cant find any anywere do you have any info or link's Ant?

The results are getting better still not 100% happy with them yet but maybe later in the year :)

Those are stunning images James. I'm gonna make a determined effort on the next clear night. The Explorer has certainly got it within itself to produce some stunners. Or at least in your hands and Ant's but not mine.

Russ

Thanks for the Info russ and kind comment's best of luck if you manage to get out with ya camera shooting Mars well worth it matey:)

That Toucam 3 look's the Biz doesnt it must be USB2 if you can have 90frames a second :) in the info it mention's near perfect images in the near darkness so that's a great sign of things to come too :)

Gonna check out the Creative camera now

Mega catchy name Russ, I agree just sort of rolls off the tounge.

Shame there isn't a pic available :)

going to check out the creative on now as well... are creative and Phillips joined in any way?

Ant

The 90fps is a bit misleading because that's only at CIF res. The new camera offers nothing extra over the Toucam 2 other than USB2.0. Which means uncompressed video streams @ 30fps only if your laptop can handle it.

To get the most out of that camera you'll need a hefty Pentium 4 processor, running at least @ 2Ghz, probably 2.5Ghz. Plenty of RAM and loads and loads of HDD space. At 30fps, uncompressed 640x480 video is going to gobble Gb's of HDD space in no time.

Russ

Good Find Russ:),

I have a P2 400 laptop with a USB2 card,168 meg,17gig H/D, so i think it will just about manage to run half decent on my setup.

That camera looks like something from war of the worlds :). As you say the creative would just be as good i may get one after my time in Ireland the Creative Ultra that is.

Has anyone here tried the 1.3 pixel option with the toucam on Lunar images say stacked the pic's up? I will try it next time out.

Cheers

Looks really nice, but the PC specs required will destroy my home laptop... Maybe if we ever move into this new house and I have a really nice desk top PC connected up to the observatory then it might be weorth a go.

Ant

Are there any good, cheap (those two words rarely sit happily together!) webcams that can be used to image the planets, I'd like to have a bash this summer as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Are they used prime focus? Do you have to buy/make a connector to keep them stable?

James,

Just looking on their spec sheet and it says absolute min spec:

PIII 500, 128Mb and 200Mb space. But it should still run fine on a PII 400. If the Toucam 2 did, can't see why this one shouldn't.

It's the video processing with the camera running USB2.0 that will be the killer for the PC. The processor won't keep up unless it's got some real grunt.

Hi Gaz, if you're lucky you may get one of the Philips Toucam Pro II for a knocked down price (£19.99).

But failing that, get onto Ebay and search for Logitech Quickcam 3000Pro. Should pick one up for under £20 delivered. Same CCD and controller as the Toucam.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Logitech-cam-pro-3000_W0QQitemZ5232467594QQcategoryZ4616QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll need an adapter. Perseu do one for £16 delivered.

All the software you need is free.

Russ

Archived