SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Focal reducers - What type?

Daz1969

Hi all, Need some advice - I need to get a focal reducer for use with a Meade DSI and an 8" SCT.

I see two diff types and would like to know the diff between them.

I have seen the ones that thread straight onto the back of the sct and cost typically a £100 (Meade and Celestron) and then there are ones that just thread onto the eyepiece/camera and cost around £30 ish.

Whats the diff ?

Cheers as always

Daz:headbang:

then there are ones that just thread onto the eyepiece/camera and cost around £30 ish.

Like the Atik 0.5x one? It's 1.25" format and really only works well with small-chip CCDs - as you're using a DSI then that's fine, but they'd be no good with a DSLR. The Meade/Celestron/Clone f/6.3 reducers are larger, which means they work well with APS-C sized sensors on a DSLR and flatten some field curvature too.

As Ben said, the small filter thread units are really only for webcam type cameras, even then they are a compromise. Usually only a small glued doublet, whereas the SCT reducers are usually air spacer triplets to give maximum corrections to the field of view.

A bit like comparing a push bike to a Golf... they'll both get you to where you want to go, but very different in comfort and performance!

Archived