Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan and SAO catalogue

I have a latest version Synscan handset on an HEQ5 Pro. Last night, i was out looking at doubles, and wanted to look at a couple of SAO objects, for example SAO 102681 in Hercules.

I entered the number in the handset ( SAO cat) and it said "out of range" it would only take 4 numbers although it shows 6 spaces, the last two are greyed out. Is there a different way to enter the numbers? I thought the handsets had the complete SAO catalogue, as in here 'SynScan™ Database: Total 42,900+ Objects, including Complete M, NGC, IC & SAO Catalogues "

Skywatcher net says that Synscan has automatic slewing to 13,400 objects and a 40,000 object database. How do I get to see those other 26000?

You can tell i have the day off today!

Allan

Allan,

What version of Synscan are you using?

My version 3 documentation unfortunately doesn't mention SAO....

I have V3.21 installed and under "Object catalogue" it lists Named star/solar system/ic/ngc/messier/caldwell/ double star/variable star no mention of SAO. It would be great fro me if it could!!!!

Firmware is the latest 3.25 and the handset hardware version is showing as V3.03.

I just found that 3.22 adds the SAO sub menu, your almost there!

I just had a fiddle with the SAO catalogue. It wouldnt accept a 6 digit number last night, but, i just found that if I enter the first 4 numbers, it adds 2 more when i press enter and i can scroll through the 6 digit numbers.

I'll have another go tonight and see what happens.

Allan

Allan,

I've just upgraded to V3.25!!

You're 110% correct, SAO # are now an option, and yes you select the first four digits, press enter then up down arrow to the final number!!

Seems to work great!

Well done, thanks for pointing that feature out, well worth the upgrade just for that!

Archived