Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

AlexF

Sketching: Pencil or Pen?

Hey guys. I'm doing up a journal since I got my scope. I figure it would be something neat to show my kids some day (I'm 22 :)). I know that pencils are great for shading, but I also know that after a while, they fade away from the friction in the book. Any way I can keep them from fading? Or can I fade with a pen somehow?

Thanks for the tips!

Hi Alex, I don't think it matter's if you use pen or pencil. I think it's down to the quality of the paper you use.

I get the water colour sketch pads, from W.H.S. I'v got loads of them, from 20 years or so, still OK.

Mick.G.

Hi Alex, nice to meet you. :)

I have 5 ring binders of sketches but have rarely experienced a smudging problem. There are fixatives you can spray on them but IMO, they do more harm than good. Basically the less you handle them, the less chance they have of being smudged. Scan them for online storage purposes and then leave them alone... works for me. :)

I would recommend good quality cartridge paper - I've got sketches I did as a teenager and they're still fine over 30 years later.

Also, if you've got a laminator you could try laminating a sketch - and Talitha's idea of scanning them in to your computer is an excellent idea.

Having tried a little sketching, poor besides the likes of Carol, with both pen and pencil... I have to say that pencil is far better and makes it much easier to see what you were doing the following morning. My pen scribbles were much harder to follow.

Maybe you could put your sketches and notes into a photoalbum/scrap book with the plastic covered paper instead of straight into a book (the ones you peel back then put down over your photos) or maybe laminate them and bind them although i recon that might be expensive and very time consuming.

Paul