SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ISS webcam images

Hi all,

Tonight was my second attempt to capture the ISS. Over the weekend my first attempt was hampered by clouds, incorrect exposure settings and the lack of an IR/UV cut filter.

Tonight however with my new baader filter in place I think I have something worth showing.

tmarkuk-albums-iss-picture2868-iss-pass-16-09-09.jpg

Impages were captured with a Philips SPC900NC on an Orion Optics Europe 250mm reflector. Manually tracked on my Vixen Sphinx EQ mount (fun!).

Thanks all, for anyone interested the webcam settings were :

exp 1/2500

gain 40

bright 60

Set using WcCtrl . I think I need to bump the gain up for the next pass, as the next highest exposure is 1/1500 and I really need 1/2000!

I also saw another bright object trailing after the ISS a couple of minutes behind, would that be the H-2 transfer vehicle? I believe it is scheduled to dock tomorrow.

Thanks all, for anyone interested the webcam settings were :

exp 1/2500

gain 40

bright 60

Set using WcCtrl . I think I need to bump the gain up for the next pass, as the next highest exposure is 1/1500 and I really need 1/2000!

I also saw another bright object trailing after the ISS a couple of minutes behind, would that be the H-2 transfer vehicle? I believe it is scheduled to dock tomorrow.

Hmm The DSLR was stuck on 5 secs!!!!

DMK here I come ready or not!!!!!

Peter...

I forgot to mention that these are stacks as well, of about 5 frames each, some more, some less. Where ever I was lucky enough to keep the scope on target for a second or two. Aligned and stacked in registax 5.

One day I'll make a post and remember to put all this in at the start.

I had another go tonight, this time with the barlow, if only to prove to myself that it wasn't worth the effort.

tmarkuk-albums-iss-picture2872-iss-barlow.jpg

I managed a few frames but not really enough to stack with any great result. The exposure was moved to 1/1500 and the gain up to 50. Unfortunately the images were just to noisy to fix.

A more sensitive chip would help , and you really need tracking at that magnification.

Well I'm "well" impressed..

Just starting out down the road with this tonight I used the DMK instead of the DSLR but I think the exposure could have been even shorter at say 1/3000s and 60fps...

Had all sorts of issues minutes before the satrt of the pass so didnt havea chance to "preview" it...

Peter..

How are you managing with the focusing = do you preset it on a star or seomthing?

?

Yeah, I just swing it round to the brightest star in the sky, turn the exposure and gain up and lock in the focus with the bahtinov mask., it seems to do the trick. I'm learning on the job, and basically just followed the sticky topic on this page.

It looks like tonight was the last chance for me on this pass anyway, and I'm really happy to have gone from white blob to recognisable space station!

I'm wondering is capturing a dark frame .avi might help with the noise, I don't know registax very well yet though. Though I think not as the noise is different in every frame.

Something to have a play with another night I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived