Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

AlexF

Cases are just as much as (if not more than) the telescope!

What the Rubbish?! Any tips on where to find a case to carry my gear that ISN'T going to cost me a new telescope?

Thanks.

For eyepieces and other related stuff, I use an aluminium case, lined with foam, that I bought from Maplins for about £19. I carry my charts and sketching stuff in a seperate bag.

I also have a large wheeled box, bought from B&Q around 4 years ago for around £7 and I can get everything in that, and it doubles up as a neat, if a tad short, table. The only problem with this is that it is now filled with assorted Rubbish and I need to sort it out before I can use it for my astronomy stuff again!

I got a cheapish cash for my nexstar £70 instead of the £200+ for jmi cases. and for my EP's etc the local Jessops had a deal on the foam lined camera cases for £20

For the ETX I simply bought a travel trolly case, added foam and means I dont have to carry it, simply tow it on the wheels. Tie the tripod to the top.

If you want a bit more protection get a rigid one.

For my ST80 clone, I can fit the scope, diagonal, ep's and barlow in a maplins aluminium flight case. I've not worked out the best for my C80ED yet, but I've still got the original box and foam lining that came with it.

I carry my Newt in a zippered sports bag that came with a Meade 4.5" scope. I carry my refractor uncased in the back of my car, but I am thinking of building a wooden box for it. Neither has suffered any damage from transport.

I have just ordered one of these h**p://w**.scsastro.co.uk/it030079.htm

not cheap but to protect a 10" Newtonian in transit fron one location to another I thought reasonable.

For taking my 80mm f5 refractor and accessories on flights I bought a Lowenpro padded camera rucksack. Room in there for my binos too.

For car trips with my 12-inch flextube I lie the scope uncovered in the boot, sufficiently protected by surrounding paraphenalia to stop it rolling around. My eyepieces are in a camera bag with some foam cut to accomodate them.