1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

Capturing the ISS

At last I have managed to capture the ISS tonight with a (bit) of detail!

I have tried different ways of capturing an image of the ISS, but all I end up with is a blur or a bright spot. Tonight I tried my Skywatcher ED80 pro and Canon 350d. OK...not brilliant...but the best image so far!

The camera was set to ISS 800, 1/400s and hand held along with the scope. The most difficult part is focusing the scope, as the ISS passes overhead the scope needs re-focusing and it is so difficult trying to adjust focus, track the ISS and take pictures. I will have another go tomorrow and see if I can do any better!

Steve

post-14715-133877398984_thumb.jpg

nice result :)

re balancing the scope and camera, i've been tempted to give it a go by mounting my c80 ed in its clamshell mount on a photo monopod, i did try it a while back on a photo tripod with the locks slacked well off taking images of airliners and it was pretty succesfull

Well done Steve, I had a go myself and its about the same as I managed, Have a look at my thread below - theres two images, one similar to yours and one large with a couple of solar panels visible at one end and some definite modular shape - just need to get the exposure down now. I prefocus on Jupiter and it seems ok for all distances of the station - I found the sticky thread on imaging it very useful, albeit common sense.

Probably going to go TU tonight but I am going to have my first attempt at capturing the ISS Through the CPC @ f6.3 (FL of 1280mm) with the canon 1000D...

I have just run the software controlling the scope through a tracking simulation and its quite interesting watching the tracking speed increase as the ISS's altitude increases...

I'm not expecting much for a first attempt probably wont even have it in the FOV ... and I am going to leave the focus set like it was lastnight for DSO's... and see what happens

I eventually want to get round to trying this with the DMK to capture video but need evey minute of FOV that I can for the first go...

Peter...

I'm joining tonights club and gonna have my first crack at it this year. Like the look of that software.. no time now tho im already set up for the old skool Dobsonian track by hand through the finderscope method... wish me a shedload of luck! :-S LOL

Matt

Clouds clouds and more blooming clouds...

Parked the scope on Arcturus a few mins before the pass was due to start so it didn't have to far to go to pic the ISS up then let it get on with it...

Visually I only caught a very short glimpse through a thinner bit of the cloud and the camera was taking 5 s exposures at ISO1600 which wasn't ideal...

Anyway in the warts and all tradition of "Billy" here is a wobbly zig-zagging single frame that has something which could loosely be identified as the ISS in it...

post-14969-133877399172_thumb.jpg

Positives - it got it in the frame...

Negatives - Need a lot faster shutter speed than 5s... lost my cannon remote so had to tape the shutter release down as using canon remote capture software stopped the tracking during picture upload...

Suggestions - USE the DMK and record 60 fps video!!!!

Nice capture Peter :) I managed to track the ISS by hand for 15 seconds as it wasdisappearing over Germany somewhere in the 12" dob and 42mm eyepiece. No detail, but a definite rectangular shape to it.

Your tracking is gonna have to be spot on to get the thing onto, and keep it on, the DMK...

yep.. thats the challenge... ideally I reckon I need to sync to a star close to the postion that the ISS is going to appear , download the latest possible TLE's and Make sure the PC clock is synced as accurately as possible... then let the software do its stuff.. the cloud meant there was no possibility of making manual corrections to the track

Wish I could find my canon remote!!! aaaarrgghhhhhh

Peter...