Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dobsonians?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Devils advocate mode on...................

So if you fit a set of encoders and a goto gps handset is it still a" true "Dobsonian.............

Devils advocate mode off...........

MoJo

What's a true Dob? A lot of the improvements to the design came from ordinary folk who saw something that could be improved. If you have the encoders, or even just a set of scales on your scope, and it makes the job of finding objects easier, it's still a Dob. I've seen reverse snobbery in every hobby. If what you have works for you, I'm not going to call you names because it's more or less improved over mine.

What's a true Dob? A lot of the improvements to the design came from ordinary folk who saw something that could be improved. If you have the encoders, or even just a set of scales on your scope, and it makes the job of finding objects easier, it's still a Dob. I've seen reverse snobbery in every hobby. If what you have works for you, I'm not going to call you names because it's more or less improved over mine.

Hmmmm, righty oh then.

Bye

MoJo.

• 2 weeks later...

It can be quite tricky at first and theres really no comparision with an EQ mount, but you soon get used to it. The consolidation is that you are getting better views for your money than if you'd had spent the same money on an EQ mounted scope.

I dont find tracking things that much of a problem with mine. It becomes intuative after a while.

If they have smooth bearings it helps a lot, I actually grease the steel ones on my mount with motorcycle fork racing grease.

Some kind of handle seems to help quite a few but I have no problem with just gripping the rim on mine.

Do you put objects in a view and when they come to edge you change position of telescope and begin all over again? How much picture "shake" during this move?

Saso

As Ian says, you into the habit of "nudging" just enough to keep the object in the FOV. As it drifts out one side, just nudge the scope so it starts back and drifts across you FOV again. High mags and planets/ globs (esp. globs its hard to resolve the stars as they move) are tricky, but for nebs and galaxies it's pretty easy

Archived