SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adaptors and T-rings. I'm lost.

I've been looking at some eyepieces to get started with and I was thinking of buying a pair of high(er) power TS Optics Super Plossls. They're inexpensive and appear to be of fair quality. The ones I've been looking at can also be used for 'eyepiece projection photography', which I think I will like, but I'm confused about the adaptors. They recommend a 'fotoring T2' and explain:

"With the T2 photo ring, you can replace the rubber eyeguard by a T2 connector that is directly attached to the eyepiece.

You may then attach your SLR camera (via an optional T2 ring) directly to the eyepiece."

and I'm like: Què?! A 'T2 photo ring' and then another 'optional T2 ring'??

Here's what I would like to do: to connect these Super Plossls to my Canon 40D.

Here's the link to the Plossls:

Super Plössl - 6mm Brennweite - 1,25" - FMC Vergütung - Teleskop-Express: DER Astroshop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

Here's the link to the Fotoring T2

Adapter auf T2 - für 1,25" Okulare - kurze Bauweise - Teleskop-Express: DER Astroshop + Fotografie + Naturbeobachtung

Help?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Levdr,

Sorry I can't help, other than to bump your thread, since I'm also curious as to what I need for eyepiece-projection photography. I already have two "nosepieces" (?) - 80mm and 40mm long, and a Canon-fit T-adaptor which can screw onto either of these, and the camera fits directly onto the T-adaptor, but this (to my limited knowledge) only allows prime-focus work. Can anyone help us fill-in the gaps in our knowledge?

Cheers,

Ivor.

[apologies for the out-of-focus pic, my bleary eyes didn't notice the camera's AF was on the surface of the table... :o ]

post-17238-133877403426_thumb.jpg

OK...

Levdr,

The TS set-up is to allow you to mount the camera behind the eyepiece for imaging.

The first adaptor is to fit the eyepiece to a male T thread.

On the camera body you also need a T2 adaptor; this has the bayonet type connection ( similar to the camera lenses) for the body and inside a female T thread section. By joining them together ie the T thread on the eyepiece and the T2 adaptor on the camera you're set for "eyepiece" imaging.

Takahashi,

All the adaptors you show are to allow fitment of the camera body ( again with a T2 camera adaptor) to the telescope focuser to let you do "prime focus" ( ie no eyepiece or barlow) imaging.

Hope this helps.

All the adaptors you show are to allow fitment of the camera body ( again with a T2 camera adaptor) to the telescope focuser to let you do "prime focus" ( ie no eyepiece or barlow) imaging.

Hope this helps.

Yep, sure does. :D

I may get one of the eyepiece adapters, since it's really the only thing I need now. Well, that is... apart from a new (motorised) mount, guide-scope, guide-cam, "proper" photoscope to replace the 6" Achro... etc... etc... :D

Cheers.

Archived