SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What is good to view at moment ?

Hi

Was looking for M103 last night but was not lucky. Can anyone tell me the best things to look for at the moment. If i persist will i see M103 ? I have a 8" Dob

Had a great evening last night viewing of the moon was spectacular. Then saw 9 orange balls in the sky which later confirmed by this forum was Chinese wish lanterns - and there's me thinking it was something wonderful - but it was great viewing through binos and telescope ...........

Regards Daren

If i persist will i see M103 ?

I don't see any particular reason why not ... unless you're well into the southern hemisphere. Whether you'll recognise it when you do see it is a different matter, it's not the most obvious object.

Try M13, M27, M57 if you haven't seen them before. M92 is underrated. If you're up in the early hours, Orion is rising from his bed ....

M103's not hard to find, about a degree from Ruchbah (delta Cass) - should be an easy spot with an 8" Dob, under dark sky it's easy enough with a 3" refractor. There are lots of other open clusters dotted around that area, I always double-check i've found M103 by looking for the single red giant in the cluster, the colour of that should be fairly clear in an 8" 'scope.

I'd also check out Sky at Night magazine they have a guide with lots of objects to view at different times throughout the month. I had great fun last night with the help of the September issue got to see some great DSO's!! :)

I'd also check out Sky at Night magazine they have a guide with lots of objects to view at different times throughout the month. I had great fun last night with the help of the September issue got to see some great DSO's!! :)

What is DSO please ?

Archived