Narrowband

A lovely find

mdstuart

Last night was clear so I continued my search for faint galaxies under the square of Pegasus.

The find of the evening was another fine double set of galaxies. They are set in a field of galaxies but I could only make out three.

The brightest two are NGC 7619 and NGC 7626. 7619 was the easiest and was easy enough to pick out with direct vision. Both looked like oval eliptical galaxies. I noticed a small fuzzy patch to the left and up slightly and this turns out to be NGC 7611. It is a special view a bit like the leo galaxy pair m65 and m66 but of course much fainter.

Also had the joy of showing M31 and M15 to my James who is 12. He assess M15 as brighter in the eyepiece...

Also notched up NGC404 which is bright but washed out by a nearby star and NGC 278 near the Andromeda galaxies which was also a relatively bright galaxy showing up even in the 30mm wide angle eyepiece.

All in all a very satisfying evening..

:)

Mark

Talitha

I went back again and I can make out 7611 but only just with averted vision using my 6.4mm lens. I tried 7623 but I just cannot see it...I looked at an image and I think 7623 is slightly fainter but they are very similiar. As it gets a bit higher over the next few weeks I may get it.

I say NGC 128 and NGC 23 the night before last. 128 is another very faint one but I shoudl be able to others nearby but to be honest 128 on its own was a strugle to pick out.

Mark

Archived