Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pentax XO's

Interesting. One other planetary option might be the revamped monocentrics from TMB. Has anybody tried them? There is something rather romantic about this old high transmission design and I'd love to know more. I gather the eyepiece is getting close to being a contact lens!

Olly.

Hello Ollie,

Interesting. One other planetary option might be the revamped monocentrics from TMB. Has anybody tried them? There is something rather romantic about this old high transmission design and I'd love to know more.

My pal Sven and me were able to compare the 5mm XO to the 5mm TMB Monozentric

(sorry, in german, a translation may help):

Barlow-Test

Eye relief of the mono is better than most would expect it to be. I reckon it might be

about 85% of the focal length. The 5mm XO eyerelief is a little bit shorter.

Using a 4"f/8 TMB Apochromat (russian origin) both were very close on-axis.

Off-axis and for the "wider field" I prefered the XO over the Mono.

Cheers, Karsten

Hhhmm... There is something afoot here.

We are seeing increased an interest in the Pentax 5mm XO eyepiece and have received a number of pre-orders. Some are saying that it is discontinued but Pentax-UK aren't aware of that. We did secure their last remaining 5mm "until the next shipment" (they aren't sure when that will be) but it has already sold so we haven't one for Kelling - sorry.

Archived