Dilemma - WO XS66 or ED80 R

I agree with A McEwan as I have a 66mm & 80mm scope. The 80ED is that bit bigger, I use it when I'm observing for a longer period. The 66 get used for shorter periods or if I don't fancy carrying the heavier 80mm and mount that I use for it.

Well, if budget is an issue, it's been said already - the Celestron is a real bargain at the moment, and you'll likely find a buyer for the WO pretty easily too, so it really won't cost you much to get the larger aperture and flexibility of the 80ED.

Given that choice only, that's what I'd do.

I've gone the other way. I bought the C80ED and then picked up a ZS66, which I finally got a play around with on Wednesday. The C80ED has much less distortion (barrel?) than the ZS66 and the colour correction is a bit better. Having said that the ZS66 is a gem, it's so dinky - it takes no time for scope to settle down after you have touched it. The focusser and general build quality feels is miles better on the ZS66 than the C80ED, it's a bit like going from a Ford to a Jaguar. (Cue disgruntled Ford and Jaguar owners). If you sell the ZS66 you will miss it!

Archived