Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Skywatcher?

Hi Newbie,

My first scope was a 2nd hand 6" Orion Europa on a normal Eq mount.. And yes the moon looks great and you could see the rings of Saturn, this wowed the kids, although the girlfriend said to me "you can't actually see much can u....:eek:"

Then I upgraded, still have the Orion but i got a Nexstar 8se ,2nd hand from the Pre owned website. This was 2 yrs old, but had never been used. It has the goto feature and XLT coatings on the optics and it only cost me £550:eek:.

And yes Androm galaxy looks like a faint fuzzy, you can see a ring in the ring nebula, Alberio looks ok.

The great advantage is, as a beginner, I still don't know the Sky. All i line up on is Polaris and Vega and then find everything with goto.... and it works.

Now getting into photography, and even though the mount aint great, i will try and get half decent pixs from it.

I would recommend any goto scope... at least you won't be wasting to much time trying to find stuff in the sky.

si

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as a Sw150PL owner i know you'll get some good views with it, especially if you upgrade the eyepieces.

@ robneath, I am looking at getting this scope for my first telescope, how are you getting on with it? What eyepieces have you upgraded to?..sounds like it might be worth doing so. Are there any other accessories worth getting for it?

Kind regards,

Tom

Take the scope and the wife to the French Alps with you - if she's still complaining then I'm sure there's a deep crevasse she'd love to explore the bottom of. The great benefit is that you'll have super dark skies for the scope lol

@ robneath, I am looking at getting this scope for my first telescope, how are you getting on with it? What eyepieces have you upgraded to?..sounds like it might be worth doing so. Are there any other accessories worth getting for it?

Kind regards,

Tom

i'm getting on well with it - clouds permitting. like all eq mounted scopes , it's getting used the mount that is the hardest part. i upgraded to meade 5000 sp and i find they suit the scope well.

Archived