dark sites around Derbysire

red dwalf

I use the area around Longnor and Sheen alot.

I will look at the map and send you some ideas before the end of the week.

I am in the camping and caravan club and regularly use the small site at Hope cottage farm nr Longnor.

Always dark and very quiet. I am there this weekend and will ask the owner if she is willing to let casual use of the field for Astro use.

Stanage edge is ok with some quiet out of the way carparks. I have also used the bottom of Mam Tor carpark and also Treak cliff carpark.

I was in Derbyshire till coming to France. Middleton Top (or rather Hopton Cottage a mile or so north) is not bad - that's WPAOG's place - but there are spots on the High Peak Trail further up that are better. I can't remember its name but there is a place north of Wirksworth where there's a good flat unlit carpark at a point where the road does a little dogleg and crosses the trail. It should jump at you on the map, I think.

There may be some good camping barns for winter observing, too.

Trouble is, it was never blooming well clear!

Olly

thanks olly, just looked at your web site yesterday, looks a nice place to be, we were south east britanny last year for our hols ( forget the exact name at the moment as old age setting in ) and right in the sticks, the night sky was amazing, but didn`t have room to take the scope, so just watch shooting stars and satalites all night long.

I was in Derbyshire till coming to France. Middleton Top (or rather Hopton Cottage a mile or so north) is not bad - that's WPAOG's place - but there are spots on the High Peak Trail further up that are better. I can't remember its name but there is a place north of Wirksworth where there's a good flat unlit carpark at a point where the road does a little dogleg and crosses the trail. It should jump at you on the map, I think.

There may be some good camping barns for winter observing, too.

Trouble is, it was never blooming well clear!

Olly

Thanks guys some great ideas.

Olly have been looking at google maps but can't find that car park north of Wirksworth. How far is it past wirksworth?

Hi,

I have looked for my Derbyshire maps but can't find them and the Google one is hopless. However, the place I mean must be about half way, or a bit less, up the trail to Parlsey Hey. I can't believe I've forgotten so much, especially since as a racing cyclist I was knocking out three hundred miles a week up there at times!

A tiny road does a little zig zag to cross the trail and I believe a more subtstantial road goes under the trail about 100 metres north of the zigzag. You would easily see it by following the trail north on an OS map. Do tell me if you find it cos its driving me nuts!!!

Olly

Archived