Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing report 20/08/05 (only for the more technically minded)

While taking a break from failing to image Mars with my DSI, I nipped inside for a quick beer, on my way back to the scopes I got distracted by the view of the moon and managed to walk into a closed set of patio doors! I've the starting of a black eye above my right eye! :)

Eeeekkk sorry to hear that Gaz i think most of us has done something daft whilst looking up at the sky/Moon. To make you feel better i once fell into a canal whilst looking at the moon :) not so much pain but shear embarrassment.

James

You fell into a canal? Honest? Thats a top story!!! :) :) :)

I heard a "nice" (God, I hate that word!) story on the Sky at Night special that covered the last Mars opposition in 2003. They were at a star party and asking the amateur astronomers who where there questions, they asked this cockney how he got into astronomy, he said that living in London he'd never seen the night sky and had no interest in astronomy whatsoever until he went on a camping trip to Wales. He got totally drunk and on the way back to his tent he fell over in some cow dung and ended up flat on his back looking at the sky and thought "WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THAT?" and had been into the hobby ever since (and presumeably moved out of London).

Cool Story Gaz :)

Yeah it's true worse of all my mates were with me walking back from a [removed word] up 10 miles from home middle of ****ing winter. I was later known as the squid for the next 6 months after :)

James :)

• 2 weeks later...

I did manage to completely knock out the brand new sliding patio door from mum and dad's many years ago.

It was an early sliding door and was fitted by lifting the door into the top runner first, then the lowering into bottom. I was sat in the dining room, right opposite the door, 10 feet away - bright sunny day, light streaming through said door.

Mum was in the garden and called me outside. I jumped out of the chair (cos I was a good boy and always came running!) and was still on the way up from the sitting position when my face made contact with the door.

It lifted gently out of it's runners, and in slow motion fell backwards towards the patio. The saving grace was a garden chair in the flight path - it bounced off the chair, and finished up side-on in the flower beds.

I did not get into trouble for the door (even though it cost a few quid to re-fit), but I did get a severe ear bashing for dripping blood all over the carpet!!!!

Darren

Archived