Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

peter shah

My radio telescope

My very simple radio set up for picking up meteors.......its a basically a scanner with USB mode and a 50Mhz directional aerial. Plugged into my pc and running Spectrum lab.....i get some nice results from the meteor showers...these from this years perseids

here is a link to an mp3 of one of the loud ones

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freehost/meteor-rec0812-223152.mp3

post-17181-133877395023_thumb.jpg

That looks interesting, can you tell more about the kit? what kind of scanner? was it expensive ie how many Ethos eyepieces would it buy? Do you have an action shot of your kit in action?

Very interesting result from the setup described. Does it get much interference from local sources when your using it ?

Kathleen

the scanner i got off ebay...alinco djx10, i won it for £120....i had one along time ago so i know this beast and worth alot more. Its one of the few hand scanners with USB and CW modes which which is what you need to get that ping from the reflections.........you can still get a reflection in AM and FM modes but its not the same. Ive also used it to get weather satellite pictures

here is a shot of the rig...you can just see the scanner hanging from the antenna

post-17181-133877395094_thumb.jpg

Very interesting result from the setup described. Does it get much interference from local sources when your using it ?

Kathleen

ah well...

i can get a bit of interference from my G11 and power supply but i dont usually have them both running

Does that additional component underneath turn it into a Cat Scanner then Peter?:)

Ron.:grin:

Does that additional component underneath turn it into a Cat Scanner then Peter?:)

Ron.:grin:

hes very good at balancing the laptop on his head:D

hes very good at balancing the laptop on his head:D

:):D:icon_salut:

Peter,

Looks very nice ! Where do you direct your antenne ? Is is a TV-station ? You can try our designated beacon in Belgium, I think you still have good reception there ( see my thread below ).

cheers,

Janos

Peter,

Looks very nice ! Where do you direct your antenne ? Is is a TV-station ? You can try our designated beacon in Belgium, I think you still have good reception there ( see my thread below ).

cheers,

Janos

i cant see the thread......can you point it out to me :)

i would like to try it

i currently use 59.257Mhz TV station over in europe....... seems to work well

i am really no expert my knowledge is very limited....

Hi Peter, quite a difference between the antenna you use and Janos' cushcraft style. I'm a bit limited on space and wonder if your antenna type may be a bit more suitable. Is it homebuilt or commercially available? Would it be possible to give dimensions?Cheers,Tony

Hi Peter

Just wondering if this is any good for solar radio astronomy, flares, CMEs etc

Dave Gradwell

yes its good for solar, jupiter storms, aurora, but you need to change the antenna for each.....ive not yet looked into it so i cant tell you much!