Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally, M13 reveals all (or at least something)

Andrew

Tonight was definitely a highlight of my brief (5 months) stargazing experience. To date I’d been decidedly underwhelmed by the view of globular clusters through my small (4.5”) reflector. Still, I thought I’d have another crack at M13 after the moon went down since it was near the zenith. I wasn’t disappointed.

Initially, all I could see was the usual circular hazy patch at powers up to x75. However, after a while spent looking at it (or rather trying to almost look at it) I began to see one or two individual stars around the edges. I upped the power to x150 (rarely a good idea since it involves barlowing a 6 mm ep) and after struggling to get a decent focus I could suddenly see mottled patches throughout the cluster and something like 20-30 resolved stars (hard to count the exact number in averted vision!). A definite result!

I also spent a while looking at IC1396 in Cepheus. Initially, it’s a bit disappointing at low powers (given its high magnitude). In my scope at x25 it’s a fairly loose collection of about 30-40 stars with little variation in brightness. However, as I increased the power, something like 100-150 additional stars popped into view, many in small loops and chains and with several doubles (and at least one triple I think). Of course, at higher powers you can’t see the whole cluster in one go (it's about 90' across). It must be spectacular in a larger scope that can pick out the fainter stars at lower powers and also show the nebulosity. Still, that will have to wait a few months!

Overall, an excellent night! :D

Sounds like a good night was had! Sadly it went quite misty here, so I had to pack up quite early!

Tonight weather permitting (looking good so far) the scope is going in the back of the car I'm going to have a ride up the Clee Hill...Should be dark enough up there :D

Kain

Nice report Andrew M13 is certainly a fav of the Dso's and IC1396 was visable at the recent Star Party with the naked eye :shock: :D worth trying to see all of the Barnard stars in that..

James

Thanks James.

Can you tell me what you mean by Barnards stars. I've heard of Barnard's star, and you prompted me to have a look at the web site for Barnard's Atlas of Selected Regions of the Milky Way (a big thanks for that - some excellent images).

Archived