SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars Images Aug 21st

OXO

Here's a couple of Mars images from last night!

I used a 2xbarlow and 10mm EP to get the image size to a respectable size on the Toucam's Chip. Must clean my CCD chip today there was some blobs on it and i had to use the controller to avoid these.

The HEQ5 mount was performing like a dream quite amazed the differance between this and the EQ5/CG-5 mount's just blows em away. Shame there isnt a bubble level built in i couldnt get the mount level but it didnt really matter as i didnt do much DSO observing esp with the seeing condition's.

These images are stacks of 665 and 687 frames, notice a strange curved line to the right? i wonder if it's down to my camera setup??????

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stack of 621 Frames :)

image.jpg

Stack of 667 Frames

James :sunny:

Thanks for sharing your Mars images James. 

It looks as though this years view of Mars might even surpass those of 2003 ... if this article from the Tele Vue website is anything to go by:

The August 2003 close approach of Mars certainly was spectacular. Can it get any better? When Mars nears opposition in late October and early November the Northern hemisphere will have an even better chance to observe the changing red-faced planet! Mars will be positioned almost 16º above the celestial equator—thirty-two degrees higher in the sky than the 2003 opposition! Looking through far less atmospheric turbulence should afford us even better viewing than in 2003.

Regards, Steve. 

I agree Steve, the whole distance thing was a bit of hype, the apparent height of Mars in the sky is FAR more important when viewing oppositions. I think the whole (what was it?) "closest for 65,000 years" thing was just something the media latched onto, but I suppose if it helped popularize (sp?) astronomy then it was no bad thing.

Great images matey. Really superb!!

I quickly checked out UKAI to see how your images compared against some others. And yours completely rock!!! More than a match for the other images posted, including ones posted by Eddie Guscott using his exotic Mewlon 210. Now that is nice going.

Regards

Russ

Why haven't I posted in this thread, they are fantastic images. Think my fav is the one right at the top on the right. This one just looks nice and smooth with quite a gbit of detail...

Keep'em coming.

Ant

I like that image best too Ant, one thing i have noticed about the Mars images on the net aswell as my own is there is a double image effect and thats the reason for that curved line you see on the right of the image. It's mostly down to the focus not being 110% and the seeing conditions. There is a way round it by using the blur tool but i think it's a bit of a cheat using it hence i left it as is..

James :sunny:

I nearly asked about that but just put it down to an artifact of the stacking process...

A lot of Saturn shots have a similar effect on the right hand side of the ring system, sort of looks like the Enke division... but isn't.

Ant

A lot of Saturn shots have a similar effect on the right hand side of the ring system, sort of looks like the Enke division... but isn't.

Your not wrong there matey saturn can be a [removed word] to image process with that effect popping up, your staurn pics are great by the way..

James

Archived