Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

goatshoes

Equatorial computerized mount

I have been searching the web for German Equatorial computerized mount....I have found some that are VERY pricey and then I found some very cheap telescopes that come with them???? Any recomendations for a moderatlely priced one for my existing Celestron 130SLT?? Thanks!!!!!!!!:)

Judging by your previous posts, I'm guessing this is for astro-imaging right? Most people will tell you that the mount is probably the most important part of the setup as there's not much point having a great scope if your mount can't track for toffee!

Problem is, they start getting expensive when you want them to track very accurately with a fair bit of weight on them like scopes and cameras. Take a look at the Skywatcher HEQ5/EQ6 models (the Orion versions are called Sirius and Atlas), they have a good carrying capacity and track pretty well, plus they have autoguider ports so you could add another scope/camera and really start to go for long exposures.

Tony..

Or even a new or second hand meade LXD55 or LXD75. Not the greatest GEMs (German Equatorial Mount) in the world but I used one (still have an LXD55) for a couple of years and got away with a minute on 2 on unguided deep sky. I use a HEQ5 skyscan mount though which is much superior but you should get pleasing results with the aforementioned. Should be able to pick one up for £200 ish.

Hope that helps.