alt/az tracking..again!

martin_h

I know this has been discussed before, but......

I know the above is not the best solution for long exposure imaging due to the stepping procedure, but am i right in thinking that adding a wedge to the setup and polar aligning etc and using EQ North tracking and setting the tracking rate to Sidereal (Nexstar 8se) will do the job? or am i missing something? :)

I know this has been discussed before, but......

I know the above is not the best solution for long exposure imaging due to the stepping procedure, but am i right in thinking that adding a wedge to the setup and polar aligning etc and using EQ North tracking and setting the tracking rate to Sidereal (Nexstar 8se) will do the job? or am i missing something? :)

It's not the best as you get field rotation (not sure if that's what you meant by the "stepping procedure". Adding a wedge yes, it will stop this (although the length of exposure you will be able to achieve will be dependent on your polar alignment). The biggest problem (IMHO) is the tripod is generally nowhere near as sturdy as a "proper" GEM. You might find you spend all your time fighting the inadequacies of your equipment. Also if you are using an SCT, you have very long focal length and slow optics to contend with.

Yes I do have an sct but also a reducer. I had heard that it wasnt the best arrangement due to stability, so if anyone here has used such an arrangement I'd love to hear comments/tips before I go off and buy a wedge.

Many thanks

I would seriously consider making your own wedge out of 18mm ply see how the scope performs and then decide what you want to do from there....

I have made plywood, Aluminium plate and Steel wedges (steel is part of a pier setup) and all have worked ...

If you have to spend a lot on a bought in wedge then youd be better off putting the money towards a 2nd hand GEM as it would be a much better long term solution and capable of handling a whole range of scopes...

have a look here at some of my "creations"....

Peter....

Archived