Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

zanes

What have I done?!?

Hello all,

After several years of thinking about getting a scope, and even more looking up at the night sky, I finally took the plunge and ordered a scope.

So, I ordered a nice, sensible off the shelf telescope? Err, not exactly, no. I ordered;

An Orion Optics 8" f/6 Europa, with 1/8pv upgrade and 10:1 focuser/

Now, I'm a bit worried as to what I have let myself in for, but time will tell. I'll update when I go upto crewe to collect it (~4 weeks)

A bit about me, I'm studying for a MEng in Electronics with Space Science, and I'm currently on placement (not in the space industry :) ) which is how I came by the money to get a scope!

Hi zanes! welcome to SGL :)

Be prepared for quite a few consecutive cloudy nights once you get your scope, happens to us all!

An 8" f5-6 Newtonian on a sturdy mount is one of the very best ways to get into astronomy. I wish I'd chosen something like back when I started.

Welcome to SGL and I bet you can't wait to get your hands on that 'scope.

Hi Zanes - welcome to SGL and what a brilliant choice for your first scope - hope the two of you will be very happy :)

What you have done is.....

Bought a terrific scope :)

Yes that sounds a mighty fine scope. Perhaps a copy of illustrated guide to astronomical wonders might compliment it nicely?

Mark

Hmmm I hope it is with the premium they command... However, I have been reading OO horror stories ever since I ordered- Not good for teh nerves.

Yep, some books are on my shopping list. So far I have Half Hours with the Telescope (~1880s edition), Philips stargazing with a telescope and a downloaded copy of Cartes du Ciel (brilliant program! :)). So plenty of room for some proper atlases. And eyepieces. And filters. And Camera adaptors.....:):grin:

Welcome to sgl, I have the same scope-but 10'' style LOL :):D

All the best,

Dave

Hi Zanes and welcome,

looks like the banks will be getting back into the black by the time you have finished buying all the equipement.

boy it soon adds up,

enjoy the new scope and let us know how it goes.

regards ron.s.g

Welcome to SGL Zane. Orion Optics make excellent scopes so you have made a good choice.

Have fun.

Geoff

Hi Zanes welcome to SGL

Good choice...

Andy

Hi Zanes,

A warm welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the forum and your new scope.

John.

Hi Zanes, welcome to SGL, im sure you will be more than happy with your scope. The worst bit is waiting to pick it up / delivery :)

Orion Optics, as I have discovered do not have an excellent reputation when it comes to mechanicals. But, mechanical bits I can have a go at remedying, mediocre optics I can not!