Starting off in astrophotogrpahy, DSUSB?

milan

So i have a few threads going at the minute from choosing the correct kit to which processing software for a Mac.

Having looked at software options it looks like Nebulosity could be the way to go so ive downloaded the manual as was just reading on how to connect the camera and laptop.

My original plan was to mount my Canon 5D on the scope and use Canons plug in remote shutter control to take the exposures of the length required but ive noticed i can do this directly if i connect the camera and laptop together. This would also appear to help with focusing ane eing able to do it on the laptop?

However it seems i would need a DSUSB box to do this? Could somone tell me which option would be best? id rather not have to buy more kit right now as the new mount and scope are costing enough!

Thanks in advance

Sorry, you may be correct with the 5D Mk 1, it may not be possible through the USB cable to image more than 30 seconds, may be worth setting the camera to Bulb mode, connect the USB cable and see if in EOS Utilities you have a timer option, if it is visible (not greyed out) you should be able to do timed exposures over 30 seconds.

Archived