SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Weather at Star Parties!

FLO

We all like to have a good moan about cloudy skies at star parties but this email received today from one of our US suppliers does rather put things in perspective:

I went to Canada last week to attend Starfest and the weather was horrific! A tornado touched down just five miles north of the campground killing an 11 year old boy. It was sunny during the day and raining at night. Many houses destroyed ;o(
:)

Yes we do moan but even on my one night (Saturday) I saw the veil in a 20 inch had good views of Jupiter, M13,M57,M27 in the gaps.

I even found out it cleared at 4am after I went to bed.

So now my weather forecast of occassional clear patches becoming more frequent was not so far out after all.

AND ITS CLEAR TONIGHT IN BRISTOL!

Mark

Gee that certainly does put our weather into perspective and just having returned yesterday morning from a wonderful 4 days at the Salisbury star party ( thanks Darren you did it again ) im not about to complain we had a glorius night on thursday with the the milky way stretching from Horizon to Horizon and Sagitarius blazing away in the south which i cannot see at all from my home. And just to cap it all, did a head count this morning when my brain finally awoke from its star filled slumbers, and all told bagged 25 messiers including the awesome veil nebula and 6 NGC's and thats the first time i have ever seen the double cluster in Persius as a naked eye object and also the very first time i have seen all three objects in Andromeda curtesy of Light Buckets big Dob and to top it all England won the Ashes what a great great week, Now i know why I love this Hobby as much as i do dark skies and good seeing

regards Pete

Archived