Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13 tonight

Got this image of M13 as the wind was too strong for fainter objects, too much 'scope wobble.

image.jpg

4 1 minute subs at 1600iso on the D50.

I was hoping for another crack at M57 but the wind was too gusty. Hiding behind the van I couldn't see the ring so I went for this. Still not dark at midnight, not even close, so no good aiming at M101.

Went for the Barlow at 1AM and by 1:01 the clouds were coming. And still coming. So that was that for the session.

Quick process, quick beer, post.

Now I have to figure out how to get the peripheral stars to show up without the centre going all blown out.

Captain Chaos

Excellent CC. You are coming on very quickly and must be pleased with that. The focus looks spot on. 1 minute subs are good going if it was windy. I don't know why you do so few subs though. 15 - 20 mins total and I reckon it would have been an absolute stunner

I don't know why you do so few subs though. 15 - 20 mins total and I reckon it would have been an absolute stunner

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Martin, I had the thing centred and did a few to check for wobble. As it loked OK I decided to go 2X and went for the Barlow. At that moment the clouds came back, so end of session. The intention was to stick the Barlow on and really go for it with more Subs. Cloud stopped play situation AGAIN.

Captain Chaos

Sneaked up on it a bit in Photoshop

Me too :D

image.jpg

Is that just all stars then?

From the NASA's APOD website:

M13 is one of the most prominent and best known globular clusters. Visible with binoculars in the constellation of Hercules, M13 is frequently one of the first steps beyond the ordinary visible to the casual sky gazer. M13 is a colossal home to over 100,000 stars, spans over 150 light years across, lies over 20,000 light years distant, and is over 12 billion years old. At the 1974 dedication of Arecibo Observatory, a radio message about Earth was sent in the direction of M13. The reason for the low abundance of unusual blue straggler stars in M13 is currently unknown.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap980819.html

Yet another play. Seems like there are thousands of images possible from just a handful of JPG files. With this one I copied the stack and did a difference layer. Messing with the difference layer I managed to keep the centre whilst bringing out more peripheral stars.

image.jpg

Fascinating stuff this photoshop.

Captain Chaos

It's going to be clear tonight, and not so cold either (I'm full of a cold, it was hard to stop sneezing last night while viewing)

Tonight I'm going to try and find M13. I have my Planisphere and you guys to ask if I get lost.

I just hope I can see it though my scope.

Kain

Archived