SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Whats everyones fav Constellation

OXO

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cygnus, because:

It actually looks like its name - a swan.

It always shows you where the Milky way is - it flies along it.

Its easy to find objects around it: Its head is Albireo - everyones favourite double. From Albireo, its a cinch to hop up to M56 globular clusterand and M57 Ring Nebula then below to M27 Dumbbell Nebula.

The Veil Nebulas East & West sit just in front of its right wing and the North American Nebula at it feet.

Its also the first constellation I learnt (other than the usual Orion/Plough) when I took up astronomy.

Gotta love it :D

Orion for me.

Easy to recognise and and has many star hop pointers from it.

Also for imaging, an easy to see M42 for newbies and lots more tricky objects for

the more experienced.

Totally agree.

If i had a go to telescope i`d probaly have to say Virgo would be my favourite with all the galaxies 40 or 50 if i`m not mistaken.

But i haven`t YET!!!! :D

I would have to say Orion, too, although if I could break it up into winter and summer constellations, I think I would choose Cygnus for the summer. Orion is so visually striking it is impossible to imagine anyone not making a constellation out of it, and it is sitting in the midst of Canis Major and Minor, Gemini and Taurus, so there's a lot to gawk at even without a telescope.

Cygnus is THE summer constellation to me. It has a definite cross shape that sits right overhead in June and July evenings, and it is rich in stars and clusters. I love showing people Albireo in a scope.

Scorpio would come a close second, but is so far south that I rarely see it unless I can get away to a better location. I can't see it or Sagittarius from my back yard.

• 1 month later...

Ok while at work reading one of the books I bought (Collins - Need to Know Stargazing) I was looking at the star maps to see what to target tonight.

Since one of my favourite constellations at the moment is Cygnus as I can find the DSO pretty easy :) So far I have bagged M29, M39 and NGC6992 (well I think it was - ragged smudge) NGC 7000 too. Tonight I might see if I can see NGC 6826 but I don't know if my scope is powerful enough.

The worse at the moment is Lyra! I know where the ring is, but I just can't blumming see it!! probably down to LP, but it it frustrating.

On another note, save making another thread, is there an double clusters about that I would see with my scope??

Cheers

Kain

Kain,

Iwould have thought that you would see the Ring Nebula in your scope, I can see it in my 80mm, you would probably have to use averted vision.

Here's a couple for you for tonight...

M13 Hercules Cluster. A nice view in your scope.

image.jpg

And the Wild Duck Cluster in Scutum

image.jpg

Both are viewable in your 114mm....depending on LP of course.

Let us know how you get on..

Greg

Orion in winter, no doubt. In summer it's Scorpius, and Cygnus, and any time I can get south of 20 degrees, well, Octopus is unbeatable!

Kain, you should be able to see the Ring with your scope. Oddly, though, I couldn't pick it out this weekend at the star party, although I have often seen it from my LP back yard. Maybe someone took it away? I look between the two brightish stars that are at a diagonal to Vega, and usually pick it up fairly easily.

Archived