Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyGuy's Kit

Yeah that's really nice Jamie. I've used a GM8 at my local club, very nice mount. As much as i like my EQ6 the difference in build between the Skywatcher and Losmandy is very apparent.

So you're a refractor man then!! :)

Russ

Russ, theres a reason for the difference in build quality in between Skywatcher and Losmandy...£££££££! Very Happy

Yeah i know. I can only dream of Losmandy. Can't see me having too many of £££££££££ at time in the future.

Russ

So you're a refractor man then!! :)

My last scope was a Meade 8" LX10 it was a good scope but a wee bit restrictive on improving/updating the mount plus i found it a wee bit heavy & bulky.

So now i have tried the refractor.

I bought the mount first then the Meade refractor then the Vixen.

Although i might have to sell the Meade refractor to finance a CCD camera of sorts.

Great setup there. That mount looks increadibly heavy???... I must say I like the height extension you have with it. I'm 6 ft 3in tall and usually use my Eq3-2 unextended for stability :shock:... this does cause back ache after a while :)

Cool

Rob :)

Cheers Rob.

Just to let you know it is quite a heavy mount when its all assembled but like i say it breaks down to small bits

which make it easier to move.

As for the stability aspect it is just as if not more stable than it was before because of the extra weight

plus i can add more weight to the tripod now that i have the extension.

I have spare counter weights so i put them inside the cup of the tripod this makes it heavier and more stable.

I don't know how you handle the EQ3 being 6ft3" i got the extension because me being 6ft tall have difficulty using the

GM8 without it. (my fault for using refractors i suppose)

:) funny that!

The newt & mak are ok with the EQ3 unextended, I use a chair with the Mak.. and of course the EP is higher up on the tube of the newt.

Still get back ache after 2+ hours though.

Rob

Archived