Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG5 GT Mount updated firmware

continuum

Recently purchased above which comes with firmware version 4.12.

As I have difficulty in seeing Polaris I downloaded firmware version 4.15 from Celestron website as tha gives "All star polar alignment" for situations like mine.

Having updated handsdet in accord with inst5ructions and received verification that 4.15 is installed correctly I find that the new alignment system is not there. I have spoken to David Hinds but they say they have not come across this before and suggested reinstalling plus update Motor Control.

I have done this with new Celestron download but no success.

Anybody had this problem and how to solve it?

RonJ

You do 2 star polar align, then polar align the mount - it's not actually an integrated align on all stars. Instructions are in the CGE manual on the Celestron website... BTW, the latest software is 4.16.

Hi Ron,

The changelog for 4.16 is:

- southern hemisphere fixes

- SAO align star fixes

- Improved GOTO approaches on extended meridian

Seemed better to have than to have not (my impression is that polar alignment is better than 4.15 from what I've gleaned from the different mailing lists). As to polar alignment - yes it is an entry if you press ALIGN when you have centred a star from the database...

The manual states:

Once your telescope is aligned on two stars and at least one additional calibration star, slew the telescope to any bright star in its Named Star database list. For best results choose a polar alignment star that is high in the sky and near the Meridian. Try to avoid stars that are close to the west/east horizon, directly overhead or too near the celestial pole. Once there, press

the Align button and use the Up/Down buttons on the hand controller to select Polar Align from the list.

See page 37 onwards from the following link: http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1235085036_cgem11097inst.pdf (ignore the fact it's for a CGEM - the software is the same in both units).

Archived