Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st Galloway Star Camp - 11th to 15th Nov 2009

You are invited to join us for 5 nights observing at Drumroamin Farm Camping & Caravan Site. See web page for details - Galloway Star Camp Activties during the event are being finalised and will be posted on the web page soon.

Whatever your interest in the night sky you will find this a pefect place for visual and imaging astronomy. The location close to Wigtown Bay not only has wonderful dark skies, but has uninterrupted views in all directions.

The site covers 5 acres with 20 caravan / tent pitches with electric hook up and a further 20 caravan / tent pitches without electric hook up. It has excellent facilities with a modern, spacious, heated shower block - the showers are free of charge. There is also an indoor playroom with pool table.

To book a pitch contact Lesley or Ralph Shell at Drumroamin Farm - 01988 840613 (mobile - 07752 471456)

For enquiries about the event contact Steve Foy - stevefoy@btinternet.com or Mike Alexander - 01988 500594

We look forward to welcoming you to this event.

This event is not being hosted by the Galloway Astronomy Centre, but by locally based astronomers I am only providing web space and help to publicise it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see some positive posts - hope you will be able to make it. There is no need to be concerned by WAS withdrawing from the event.

The idea was thought up by WAS member - Steve Foy (you will find him posting on UKAI) - the society decided to run with it, but when Steve resigned due to differences on unrelated topics, the society pulled out leaving Steve to run it alone.

Steve has become a good friend and it was the least I could do to lend the Centre's support to the event.

Wigtownshire AS are now concentrating on an Astroday for the 14th Nov - which star camp attendees can go to. Speakers including Ian Morison are being booked as is a mobile planetarium from Edinburgh. The full details have not been finalised as yet which is why I did not mention it in my original post.

Mike

Hi Guys

Just confirmed with the campsite - I am booked in for the 5 nights! I went for leccy hook-up asI would like to do imaging etc - and I guess it will be nippy in November!!

So thats me, the missus and the dog - see you there!

hi robie, glad you are comming to the camp, albert and kev & lyne with a few others from kielder are over for the weekend. a couple of clear nights and all will see just how dark it gets here. never had a proper chat at kielder, but if you are there in oct , and i make it over (50/50 with work) i will pop over for a chat, cheers steve

Hi.

Just a couple of questions.

Does the campsite cater for meals etc, and is there a nearby pub?(or should beer be brought?).

I should know by the end of the week if me 'n' Allison can get the time off for this event. Sounds excellent no matter.

Cheers,

Andy

hi dave, the site does not do meals, and yes there is a pub near, in kirkinner that does meals and on the saturday there is an astro day (talks etc) in wigtown, run by a local society. shops pubs etc , hoping to get the local landlord to do shuttles from site to pub and back, but allways a good idea to have a few tinnys close to hand, hope you make it up , cheers dweebo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back from the 1st Galloway Star Camp. A big thank you to Steve for a brilliant time.

We arrived on the Friday and although the observing conditions weren't too clever I think everyone enjoyed the "alternative" arrangements (thanks to my fellow quiz team members for letting me choose our winner's prize!:) )

Saturday night gave us lovely clear skies - just what we'd all hoped for. The view of the Milky Way overhead was tremendous!

Well done Steve - can't wait for next year!

:rolleyes:

Archived