Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 40mm eyepiece ?

Hi People....sitting here waiting for the clouds to go away and spending waaaayyyyyy to much money on ebay ! Me and kpphototeddy are nearly on first name terms :D

Anyway....Got myself a Meade 126 2X "SHORTY" BARLOW along with a series 4000 12.4mm ep. Im thinking now of getting the 40mm, am i correct in saying that with the barlow.. that would then also give me a 20mm and a 6.2mm and would this then be a good range of ep's. Any reasons why I shouldnt get the 40mm then please shout, havent actually found one on ebay yet.

What would you suggest i do with the eps that came with the scope they are 25 and 10mm super plossls, are they worth flogging ?

Also bidding on a toucam 840, so if I get that then expect lots more questions :D

Cheers

Chubster

Hi Chubster,

Hi People....sitting here waiting for the clouds to go away and spending waaaayyyyyy to much money on ebay ! Me and kpphototeddy are nearly on first name terms

Things we do when it's cloudy eh hehe bad for ya elf i tells ya :D

Anyway....Got myself a Meade 126 2X "SHORTY" BARLOW along with a series 4000 12.4mm ep. Im thinking now of getting the 40mm, am i correct in saying that with the barlow.. that would then also give me a 20mm and a 6.2mm and would this then be a good range of ep's. Any reasons why I shouldnt get the 40mm then please shout, havent actually found one on ebay yet.

Congrats on ya purchase's, yes that will be the equlivante of owning a 12.4mm,20mm,40mm and 6.2mm. You have a 25mmep and 10mm ep well flog ya 25mm ep and keep ya 10mm(be 5mm with ya barlow and when it's good seeing gives ya that extra power from 6.2mm, for what you would get for the EP you may aswell keep it tbh).

IMHO of course..

James

I'd go for 32mm before a 40mm, you don't get any extra benefit in FOV in the 1.25
...cheers Gaz, there seems to be more 32's around for some reason, so perhaps i will go for that. My scope takes 2" EP's so if I find a decent one at a good price might be tempted

There ok those 32mm Celestrons i had one on the same scope as chubster's for 15 quid it's a bargain! if i was getting a ep for widefield id be tempted to get a Moonfish 2" ep pay the extra but if on a budget a 32mm Celestron is perfect.

Cheers

James :D

My 2" 80 deg Moonfish is very dodgy in my f5 Newt. It's a lot better in the f8 refractor but the outer 20% or so is awful at f5.

:shock: Thats quite shocking Gaz esp after all the "rave" reviews those ep's have got eh :D

James

It's a good EP matey, just not at f5, I kept thinking I'd discovered new edge on galaxies - they were just stretched out stars :D. It was spot on in the ED80 at f7.5 though...

I think to be fair to Moonfish they recommend the 70 degree model for fast scopes.

I'd go for 32mm before a 40mm, you don't get any extra benefit in FOV in the 1.25" format. Either one would be OK though, just if you do get the option....

Having owned both, I agree :D

The Series 4000 32mm and 12.4 are the only two eyepieces that I regret selling :D

• 8 years later...

Archived