SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

tuned up images

russ

Hi all,

had a play with some of my images. You've seen them all before, although some i haven't posted on the forum but on the defunct Yahoo Group. Gave them Ant's vignetting removel technique. It works a charm

M31

image.jpg

M101

image.jpg

M27

image.jpg

M15

image.jpg

Just something to pass the time until the clear skies next week 8)

Russ

:) :) :)

Blimey there Nice russ, my fav being M101 thats a stunning image of that the arm's and colours captured extremely well!, M31 looks great,M27 Stunning,M15 great nice sharp focus there with wonderfull tracking. :)

I know how you feel doing up ya old pic's been doing that today..Well worth it too esp looking at these of yours.

James :sunny:

Excellent set of images, Russ. I agree with James about M101 being hard to get. You've managed a great result for your efforts.

And that M31 is just awesome. :shock:

If it's anything as good as his star trail removal tutorial, I wouldn't mind learning about Ant's vignetting removal technique, too (if it's not too much trouble). :)

Thanks all for the comments. It's nice to reprocess these images everytime I learn something new. It ceases to amaze me how much detail is hidden, the trick is learning the processing techniques to unlock it. Talking of which there's some great tutorials that come with ImagesPlus but i just haven't found the time to watch them.

Rog, the gallery is building nicely now. And hopefully we'll get a good winter this year and add to the current images in a big way. Oh enjoy your hols!!!

Russ

This is where I fall down too, Russ. I often find that the images I scan don't seem to have the same amount of detail as the actual negatives. Then I end up just tweaking about with the settings in PS to get something half-decent. The likes of Ant's recent tutorial on removing star trails was very useful. I look forward to seeing more............

Very very nice Russ, there are some real stonkers in there.... My fav is M15 - I just love a widefield globular...

I'll sort of the vignetting removal - almost the same as the star trails one beleive it or not.

Ant

• 4 weeks later...

I know that I'm a little late in posting to these topics. But I think the detail that you have out of M27 is amazing for the 300D.

As you can tell I've been doing a little reading. My understanding was that the 300D was very unsensitive to the red end... But you've done well there. Did you have to do anything different to get the red out (in processing i mean).

Al.

Thanks Steve!! I'm quite proud of this little bunch, they are my success story. Even though compared to images around the web they're not all that good.

Al, the channel mixer in Photoshop CS is my secret weapon for extracting the red. Although it is a struggle with the 300D. Which is why i like the galaxies so much. And probably why Ant is so keen on his open clusters. No red response needed.

If money was such an object i would have the 300D modded by having the filter removed. Then the sensor could really go to work. Unfortunately £300(ish) stands in my way. And if I had that money I would add GOTO/Autoguiding to the mount. It's such an expensive hobby, especially once you get the astrophotography bug.

Russ

Archived