Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to predict high level cloud ?

albedo0.39

Hi there folks. I've seen sun all day but the blue sky is not "gin clear" but clearly covered with a milky haze at high altitude. I'd like to get my scope out early on, collimate and observe from midnight , but I'm not going to bother if this high level cloud persists

So all the weather forecasts on all the websites I know of show "clear skies" but as I can see from my window now, it's actually not that clear.

Is there a website that gives an idea of what cloud is on it's way in and specifically can identify the high level stuff ?

Thanks

www.meteoblue.com

Click on 'more maps' in the left column then click 'europe'. It gives list of various things like cloud level, IR cloud, precipitation, etc, etc with buttons in the right column to give an animation of what to expect in the next few days.

If you create your own account (free), you'll be able to click 'mymap server'. This will give you access to astronomy seeing conditions from your location with percentage cloud cover at high, medium and low altitudes plus jet stream speeds and seeing index, seeing in arcseconds, etc.

High cloud is normally present ahead of atlantic systems. So you will not see any after a cold front has been through but you will see it before it ultimately clouds over.

There is some about tonight as there are systems in the atlantic waiting to come in. It is difficult to predict as it can appear up to 36 hrs before a system arives and does not show up well on satelite images.

It can of course be very beutifull..

Mark

Thanks for the website links guys. Looks like I did some more weight training tonight because yet again, this afternoon / evening showed great promise with perfectly clear skies, but now, the high level cloud has rolled in...

ho hum...

Archived