SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is my barlow broken?

I broke out the old telescope a few days ago while registering to these forums (Hi again! :)). Last night I wanted a closer shot than what I was getting (see sig) looking at Jupiter. My cheap Wal-Mart scope came with a barlow, but I never used it. It's a 2x, so it should double the image of what I'm seeing, yes? The refractor is 60mm, and I'm using a 4mm lens. When I popped in the barlow, I was sure that the blob I was looking at was Jupiter, but it was rediculously fuzzy. When I focoused in, it got more fuzzy. When I came out all the way, it suddenly looked like I was looking at a microscope slide with some bacteria on it. Does it just need a good cleaning or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

Hi AlexF.

I am not sure what scope you are useing, your signature says 60AZ but you mention 50mm so am a little confused, i suspect it is the 60mm and i reckon it has a focal length of about 800mm, so therefore i reckon with your 4mm eyepiece and barlow you are at about 400x magnification, this is far to much for that scope you need to be around 80x to 100x, to do this you will need an 8mm to 10mm eyepiece.

With you 4mm eyepice you are looking at 200x and if ive got your focal length correct that is.

Mick.

@mik Yeah, it's 60mm. Typo. =X

I'm sorry, but I can't put my dinky scope and the phrase 'too much power' together in my mind. Unfortunately I've lost the other two eye pieces that came with this thing.

I'm actually shopping for another one now. What would it take to see the bands on Jupiter just through the eye piece (not imaged)?

These are the two I'm looking at getting/asking for my birthday:

Celestron AstroMaster 114 EQ

Celestron NexStar 4 SE

I only want the NexStar for the GOTO, but I can do without if I can get a really good scope without the goto mount for the same price. A friend also has a 6 inch scope (I'm guessing that's the diameter? Sorry.) that he wants to sell me, but I'm still waiting on the specs for that one.

These are the two I'm looking at getting/asking for my birthday:

Celestron AstroMaster 114 EQ

Celestron NexStar 4 SE

Hi AlexF,

I see that you would like to purchase in the future a new scope. Might I add that I have the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ which is the bigger brother of the 114. I also see that you would like to view both jupiter with some detail and also the moon. With the 130EQ Jupiter clearly has some banding and the Moon is astonishing.

But you already know this as you commented on my photo of the moon! So hopefully this might help you make a decision as Aperture is a very important factor in buying a telescope. GOTO is not always the best option as many people have said the newbies (like me!) can benefit by using there knowledge to find objects in the night sky without the assistance of a computer. IMO I would rather have the thrill of locating an object rather than wait 20-30 seconds for it to do itself which could get very boring.

Anyway just remember that a telescope that suits you is the one thats going to get used and a flashy goto one which takes ages to set up will just gather dust in the corner!

Here is the link to the 130EQ telescope

Celestron AstroMaster 130 EQ Reflector Telescope - Telescopes at Telescopes

Im guessing your in America (by using dollars!) so just put this into perspective. This telescope is $199. A similiar goto telescope with the same aperture cost $499.

HTH

Celestron_130EQ

Thanks for the suggestion, Celestron! I was wondering if there might be a bigger scope for a little bit more buck.

Now I ask you, what about it's big cousin? :)

Celestron Omni XLT 150

My girlfriend is looking to rally $500 as it is, so I'm shooting for the stars! (Hah.) My only concern is that it only comes with 1 25mm eye piece.

If you can afford it then I would go for that one then. You see most people say that you should go for the biggest aperture you can afford which is what I did. So i that case the Omni is a very good telescope to buy.

Also although you get a 25mm eyepiece and thats it, The money that you have left over from the $500 would buy a very nice eyepiece! Everyone's a winner!

HTH

Celestron_130EQ

I presented it to my better half. I did notice the one eyepiece issue. She simply said, "I'll just buy you an eyepiece and filter kit to go with it." :) She suggested this set of Plossls. I think I read somewhere on here that Plossls were acceptable.

Last question: Is an 8" scope that much better than a 6"? I think I will be completely satisfied with the 6" if I can at least get some detail out of the Orion nebula, and the Andromeda galaxy.

You should be able to get considerable detail out of the 6" scope, as I do with mine. An 8" scope gives you about 1 2/3 times the light grasp and 1 1/3 times the resolution of a 6". If you can afford the 8" and all other things are equal, go for it.

You don't need a big selection of eps to use your scope. See my article here. Plossls are fine.

Archived