New member - first post

FLO

Hi all.

Thankyou for having me.

I live in the UK and wear several caps: Writer, photographer and No2 at

a photo/optics/astro dealer. I began astronomy proper about a year

ago and currently use StarryNight software, 7x50 bins, a Meade ETX105

and, very recently, a 10" f5 'Revelation' Dobsonian (a Hardin DSH to you

Americans). I look forward to getting to know you.

Regards, Steve.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Steve,

Firstly [glow=red,2,300]WELCOME TO THE FORUM[/glow] :)

I see you have some nice Kit for your Observing there Steve that ETX105 is a great portable scope which give some really nice sharp views(I have owned the ETX90 and 125). Your 10" 'Revelation' Dob look's the Business to i have been looking at those on some Web shop's amazing value for money by the looks of thing's.

Your a writer,Photographer and Astro Dealer sounds interesting Steve hopefully we will all learn a little more once we get to know you:).

Have fun on our forum were all here to share this wonderfull hobby with each other..

Regards

James

Admin

Hi Steve,

Glad to have you here!!!! We hope you like our little forum. We've been going a month or so now but it's already a busy little place.

Nice setup you have. I've been tempted by those Revelation Dobs that Telescope House sell, all look extremely good value and from what i've heard, they perform really well.

Any clues as to which Astro Dealer you work for? Don't say a thing if you wish to keep that quiet. We'll have to try and guess at a later date.

Anyway make yourself at home.

Regards

Russ

Hi Steve,

Were quite relaxed here so dint be too worried about were you should post, obviously if it's a post on say Mars we would prefer it to be posted in the Planetry section but as i say were not that demanding  :) :)

James :)

Hi Steve,

I've got the Revelation 10 f5, bit I've got mine mounted equatorally, the Dob base is still in the box. They're great scopes, the focusser is a dream to use!!

Hope you enjoy yourself here

Gaz

Thanks for your response Gaz,

I'm curious to know what GEQ mount you are using and where you bought the rings?

Regards, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I've got it on an EQ6 although I reckon a HEQ5 could also do the job. The EQ6 is rated to take 14" refectors so the 10" is very stable on it.

SCSAstro, Sherwoods and a few others sell tube rings, but make sure the internal diameter is correct when ordering- not all 200mm scopes will take same size rings for instance. A cheaper way is to put a 'wanted' ad on the Astro classifieds sites, it's amazing how many people have spare sets of tube rings lying around, I got mine for my Revelation for £20 secondhand.

I already had the EQ6 so I just got a Dob base for free if I ever need! Little victories eh! :)

How are you finding the scope? is the action on the base OK?

All the best

Gaz

BTW you still havn't told us who you work for....... :)

All the best

Gaz

Thanks for the info Gaz,

I am very pleased with the 10” Revelations GSO optics but have some reservations about the Azimuth needle bearings.  At around 200x, the bearings have a tendency to fall into ‘divots’ that make exact centring difficult.  I have found several posts on a Yahoo astro group that recommend removing the bearings altogether and using Teflon pads, or similar, and a set of homemade washers (cut from plastic milk cartons!) around the centre bolt.  I might give it a try. 

What really pleased me was how quick it was to setup and to move to different parts of the garden for better views – something I have never done with my ETX with its GOTO routine!  I also like the way it encourages me to find my own way around the sky. 

Only one niggle: the focus bar arrived a little bent; nothing that hinders its operation but something I might have replaced nonetheless. 

No … I haven’t mentioned which dealer I work for 8) (The cat will be out of the bag soon as I have already begun handing out this forums address to customers). 

Regards, Steve.

All the best

Gaz

Only one niggle: the focus bar arrived a little bent; nothing that hinders its operation but something I might have replaced nonetheless.

No … I haven’t mentioned which dealer I work for 8) (The cat will be out of the bag soon as I have already begun handing out this forums address to customers).

I'd get it changed while you can, at the very least it will affect the re-sale value if you ever decide to change scopes.

As for your employeers....we'll have to wait and see then!!! :)

(please let it be Sherwoods and he can get a staff discount) :)

I'd get it changed while you can, at the very least it will affect the re-sale value if you ever decide to change scopes.

Good advise that Gaz! I wish i had done something like that in the past alas i lost alot of monet :) :)

As for your employeers....we'll have to wait and see then!!!

(please let it be Sherwoods and he can get a staff discount)

Dont you know who it is yet? :)

James

I'd go with Telescope House too :)

So Gaz what do you think about the 12" Revelation on the EQ6? I seriously, still am, considering that scope. Such a bargain at £449 collected.

The HEQ5 should take the 10" Revelation no worries, it's rated to do so.

Scope'n'skies sell tube rings at a very reasonable price. 254mm internal diameter rings are £45 the pair.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/show_category.php?id=8

Russ

I'd go with Telescope House too

I wonder if the second name is roger's?.......... :)

The review in the Skt at Night Magazine seem's to be in favour of the scope although i dont think it's a great review personally as i think they should of gone a little more in depth..

Unreal for the price imagine that 10yrs ago NO CHANCE!

James

I'd go with Telescope House too :)

So Gaz what do you think about the 12" Revelation on the EQ6? I seriously, still am, considering that scope. Such a bargain at £449 collected.

The HEQ5 should take the 10" Revelation no worries, it's rated to do so.

Scope'n'skies sell tube rings at a very reasonable price. 254mm internal diameter rings are £45 the pair.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/show_category.php?id=8

Russ

I think weight wise the EQ6 would take an 12" f5 OK, the only problem may be the eyepiece height. The 10" is nearly 6 foot off the ground at zenith, if you add another foot to that youre' looking at a step.

I''ve got a 12" f5.3 mirror, and I was talking to a guy who is going to sell me a shell for it (£40!!) and I mentioned i was thinking of putting it on an EQ6 and asked his opinion, he said he knew a guy who had a EQ6 (peir mounted admittedly) holding a 14" f4.5 Newt !!!!!

I've just measured the 10 " OTA and the OD is 320mm, I used a tape measure so you could take a bit off for bending but you'd still need 300mm rings as a minimum

No … I haven’t mentioned which dealer I work for 8) (The cat will be out of the bag soon as I have already begun handing out this forums address to customers).

Regards, Steve.

RIGHT THATS IT THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF RULE THAT SAYS YOU CAN'T KEEP THE REST OF US IN SUSPENSE LIKE THIS.

STEVE AM TELLIN YE YER A BAD MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Steve,

Ah yeah i've seen the advert in AN. It's great that LCE are doing a proper Astro range not the usual Christmas rubbish. But I take it it's only the Exeter branch though. Our Winchester branch is still in old fashioned mode and their entire astro range consists of a Meade ETX90. Fingers crossed they'll learn from Exeter!

But i'll say no more on the subject and just let you be Stevenet04.

Russ

Welcome Steve, Really nice to have you aboard. In case you were wondering it wasme that sent you the email to join.

Look forward to speaking with you over the coming winter months... they are nearly upon us you know.

Regards

Ant

Archived