SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Howdy.

AlexF

Last night my girlfriend and I broke out my dusty Polaris refracting telescope that my mom had gotten me for my 15th birthday. It only had one lens with it and we could only focus on the edge of the full moon. We also looked at what I thought was Venus that was sitting right next to the moon. To both of our surprise, it was Jupiter, and 4 of its moons were clearly visible. Neither of us had seen Jupiter or its moons through a telescope before.

Needless to say, we're looking into buying a reflecting telescope. After reading the stickies in the Beginners forum, I see that making a $400 purchase on a mediocre GOTO scope (look at me acting like I know some terminology, hah!) wouldn't be a wise decision.

So I'm asking you guys: What would be a good set of binoculars to start off with?

:) Hi and welcome from me too. 10x50 binos are good but I find they are better on on a tripod. The Orion nebula looks pretty good with binos too and its easy to find - well once winter gets here anyway.

Did you use the scope much when you were 15 or was it one of those 'never played with' things ?

Hi AlexF,

a warm welcome to SGL, 10x50 bins will be fine, the best you can afford, have a word with FLO. A good stable tripod and you can both share the view. A visit to our biocular section may help along with some star maps down loaded from Stallarium,fee website if you are not already aware. Have fun and enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Astro Baby,

You were a minute ahead of me on that last thread, but just like to take the opportunit to say a big thank you through the forum for your slpendid article on Polar Scope alignment, I can cut down on the pills now.

John.

:) Hi and welcome from me too. 10x50 binos are good but I find they are better on on a tripod. The Orion nebula looks pretty good with binos too and its easy to find - well once winter gets here anyway.

Did you use the scope much when you were 15 or was it one of those 'never played with' things ?

A nebula through binoculars? I would have never thought that possible. I work at Best Buy and the best set we have in-store is this pair of Bushnell 10x32 binoculars. =/ My girlfriend works for a sporting goods store, so we'll give their selection a look. :p

I used my telescope a lot when I got it! I actually got to see Saturn through it. It definitely wasn't as clear as what was on the box, haha. I also had the no-so-bright idea of pointing it at the sun and looking through it. The inside of my eye actually got warm. :) Over time I've lost the 3 other lenses, and could never figure out how to use its Barlow. Everything was always blurry through that. It did me well, though.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Alex. :) I wouldn't bother with the 10x32 binos for astro observing, the exit pupil's too small to be of much use.

The first number (10) is the magnification power, and the second number (32) is the width in mm's of the skyward lenses.

To get the exit pupil size, take the second number (32) and divide it by the first number (10)... in this case, you get 3.2. You'll want something which matches your own eye's pupil size in mm's when it's fully dilated.. usually somewhere between 5mm and 6.5 or so. :)

Picked up a pair of Bushnell 10 x 50's today for $50 with a tripod. However, I can't find an adapter to mount the bins to the tripod. Suggestions?

PS - HOLY Rubbish! 4 moons like day through simple binoculars. And the moon looks AMAZING! I'm really glad I got these.

PPS - We're dusting down my telescope. There were smudges all over the objective (I think?) lens, and dust all over the eye piece mirror.

$50 for both? You did good. :) See if Best Buy has an L adapter.. not sure if they would, but it's worth a try.

The base of the 'L' faces away from you, and attaches to the threads of the tripod. The knurled twist-knob has a captive screw which points towards you, and it fits into the capped hole located on the front of the hinges connecting the barrels together.

Hi Alex and girlfriend,

enjoy the bins and take your time to get used to them,

give your eyes time to adjust as well,

the stellarium programme will help you identify whats about,

hope you get a better view from the scope now its been dusted,

regards ron.s.g

Welcome along, from another newbie.

When I had a set of bins lashed to a tripod, I made my own adapter bracket. Something that supported the bins well and securely (lashed on with lock wire!!!), and could be mounted to the (camera) tripod using the threaded camera screw. Worked very well for projecting a partial eclipse (1999) and the last trasnit of Venus (2004?), as well as occassional star gazing when we had folk round.

Archived