sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Planning Eyepiece Collection

Hello due to my own silly fault ive now got to rebuild my EP collection, the set is to go with my ZS66 Petzval and will be used for observing the Moon & Planets, I dont do that much deep sky observing due to major LP so i feel wide angle is not needed for me.

This is my list so far what do you think.

Tele Vue Plossl 8mm 50x

Tele Vue Plossl 11mm 36x

Tele Vue Plossl 25mm 16x

2 x Barlow for use with 8mm 100x & Webcam 133x or there abouts.

I also hope to upgrade to a Megrez 72 next year sometime (see how my bonus goes :) )

Cheers Mick.:)

Nagler Zoom is a good shout.

What about Some Baader Genuine Ortho's? Fantastic for the Planets etc and The clarity more thain makes up for the reduced FOV.

Lee.

Hi Mick/Lee

First the Nagler Zoom i used to have one of these and found it to powerfull for the scope for visual use so i got rid of it oh and the price.

Ortho's yes these are a very nice EP but yes there is another but eye releif i find is a bit of a strain for me.

Thanks Mick.

Mick

Ortho's yes these are a very nice EP but yes there is another but eye releif i find is a bit of a strain for me.

The 8mm and 11mm Plossls also have very limited eye relief (especially the 8mm) so if you don't like Orthos then you may want to look elsewhere.

The Burgess/TMB planetaries (and clones) come in a range from 2-point-something to 9mm focal length, and give pretty good performance, plenty of eye relief and are a bargain at around £40 used.

The hyperion zoom and barlow would be useful and give you a better field of view too. You could consider the shorter flocal length Naglers, but as you have a tracking mount they might be overly pricy.

PEterW

Hi Ben perhaps eye releif was the wrong description for the ortho's more eye comfort,ie the TV Plossl has a rubber eye guard and the ortho's don't i think.

I maylook out for a TMB in the 5-6mm range though.

I don't like the Hyperion i feel they are a little clumsy plus some of the ones ive seen look a little lacking QC but not all i must add.

Mick.

Ok, i'd still rate the 8mm pretty uncomfortable though - i've said it before, but "half eyepiece, half contact-lens" is a pretty good description. The 8mm's a "try before you buy" if you can.

They are very sharp though, and the 11mm is better (the 13mm even more so if you find a used one).

Hi Ben.

Thanks for your help here i used to have the TV 8mm until i lost it and found it ok, i also had the TV 15mm and lost that as well :)

it was ok but i thought i would give the 11mm a go this time.

I am not sure about the TV 25mm at the moment as a general look around eyepiece i will think about this one, ive got a 25mm Swan at the moment its not that good but ok for finding objects.

By the way i wish to avoid 2" because i have lots of smaller filters.

Many thanks Mick.